Friday, April 29, 2011

Sushi Deconstructed

I love sushi! Like, I super puffy heart sushi. But let's face it: sushi is a pain in the ass to make at home. My rolling skills aren't so stellar, and unless I'm feeding a big crowd, I rarely make DIY sushi. Unfortunately, sushi rolls purchased at restaurants are typically way overpriced.

But of course, Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a solution for that (Doesn't she have a solution for everything?!) — the Sushi Roll Edamame Salad with Green Onion-Miso Dressing from Appetite for Reduction:

It's everything that should be in a veggie sushi roll, but minus the roll. Lettuce, cucumber, carrot, avocado, edamame, nori, green onion, sesame seeds, and more. It may not be quite as fun to eat with chopsticks, but it's tasty and much faster to prepare than homemade sushi.

My sushi salad was even better eaten with my favorite wasabi paste:

I buy this stuff at the Viet Hoa Food Market in Midtown. It's squeezable wasabi in a tube! Perfect for topping bites of salad.

What would you put on your dream sushi salad?

16 comments:

Alan Roettinger said...

Ah, I see you're up late too. Blogging is not for the early-to-bedsters, is it?

veggiebeauty said...

I really need to get that cookbook, that looks absolutely amazing. I too am far to lazy to make my own sushi, and this sounds like a much better alternative.

The Health Sensei said...

yummy looking salad - sabrina actually enjoys trying sushi here, we have it bi-weekly. she does cooked sushi rice, i have her make me raw parsnip rice to keep the whole thing raw :D

Caitlin said...

i have afr but haven't made this salad yet. but your salad looks sooo yummy, i'm going to have to make it asap now! and what an adorable tube of wasabi. i wonder if they sell something like that at trader joes or whole foods?

tamara said...

i make what i call sushi bowls -- sticky rice topped with avocado and sometimes other veggies, pieces of nori, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and tamari. (and of course sriracha!!) it's no joke, probably my favorite meal ever.

Leslie said...

This looks amazing! I've had nori sitting around in my pantry for a while now, with zero motivation to actually go through the hassle of rolling sushi. Thanks for the easy solution!

jessy said...

aaaahahaha. you're so right, Bianca - sushi IS a pain in the ass to make. when we make sushi at home i convince dan to make the rolls and i assist him/boss him around. :) my rolling skillz suck because i lack patience and focus. ha! we got AFR a while ago and i haven't gotten around to making the sushi deconstructed, but it's look'n like i need to make it pronto! that's one awesome salad, fo 'sho! i think i'll add a little sweet potato and maybe some bok choy to mine - perhaps even some tempeh strips. mmmmmmmm!

happy friday, my friend - and enjoy the weekend!

Leslie Richman said...

That sounds soooo good!

Sheridan said...

Drew and I made this not long ago and ohmygod, it was yummy!!!!

Great pic!

Nikki said...

Brilliant! Isa makes me swoon. I don't have AFR yet, but it's on the top of my wish list.

VeganLinda said...

Great idea! I will have to try this with the kids. They find regular sushi hard to eat.

Ainslie said...

yeah! love this. I've been making lazy sushi bowls for years, either a grain or salad topped with avo, carrots, cukes, nori, sesame seeds, ginger (pickled or otherwise), tamari and sometimes wasabi. now I know what I'm having for lunch...

Unknown said...

We've had stuff to make our own sushi for years but have yet to do it because of how much of a pain it seems to be. This is a great alternative. I'm going to spend some time back in this cookbook this week. I'm going to do the 40 clove broccoli and garbanzos.

Katie said...

Yum, yum yum! That looks absolutely divine!

Anonymous said...

Sushi salad is such a cool idea - definitely trying this one. The thought of slicing, rolling and getting the seaweed to stick on just right is painstaking when they take 2 minutes to eat!

KLund said...

I think tempura asparagus on the salad would be amazing.