Monday, April 18, 2011

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Pho Hoa Binh

If you're a vegetarian in Memphis, you know Pho Hoa Binh. I mean, like, you know it intimately. You know the overwhelming sense of joy that comes from the first bite of chewy, salty, deep-fried Lemongrass Tofu. You know the satisfaction of stuffing your plate with as much tofu from the buffet as possible and then going back for seconds. You know how good it feels when you shell out a measly $6 and some change for enough food to feed a vegan army.

If you're not in Memphis, let me fill you in on the best little Vietnamese joint in the M-Town. Everyday at lunch, this modest eatery offers a small-but-packed-with-goodness buffet featuring mostly tofu dishes. There's always about two meat entrees, but most people skip right over those. Even omnis go there for the tofu, and that's sayin' somethin'. Here's my omni friend Halley stuffing her plate with tofu, no meat:

And here's my haul from a recent lunch — Lemongrass Tofu, Black Bean Tofu, and Coconut Curry Tofu:

Now, they do offer a few salad items on the bar, but you don't go to Pho Hoa Binh for the veggies. It's all about the chewy, fried tofu. No place fries up bean curd quite like Pho Hoa Binh.

Pho Hoa Binh is located at 1615 Madison Avenue. Call 901-276-0006.

13 comments:

T said...

Yumm black bean tofu... will have to stop by next time in Memphis!

Lori said...

I always hope to stumble across some place like this in Baltimore. I'm sure we've got a bunch of places I'm not aware of, but even when I find them online, making your way through that city can be a nightmare based on surrounding drivers alone >_>

The Health Sensei said...

holy frickin yumsauce! i want that in my care package! i could send you some awesome local indian...lol

Tami said...

Wow, that place is almost worth a trip to Memphis!

Amy Mary said...

One of my FAVORITES! When I first moved to Memphis, I was all sad because I wasnt in on the veg/vegan dining options here... until I found PHB. Now, I am in love.

jessy said...

lemongrass, coconut curry, and black bean todu...oh my!

Pho Hoa Binh sounds beyond awesome, Bianca - i'd be going back for thirds! hot damn!

Anna-Marie said...

We discovered this AMAZING place via your blog and can't quit! We love us some tofu crack! :) The owners know us by name, and our son. Plus, we're the weirdos who order all vegan dishes except for the eggrolls (we're omni, for now). This place is so vegan friendly, they ALWAYS double check our order and kindly remind us that the eggrolls have egg in them. :)

Erin said...

All of the tofus look fantastic! Jealous...

Melissa said...

I actually ate at Pho Hoa Binh last week for the first time and it was delicious. I got the mixed vegetables and tasted the Curry Tofu that my friend ordered. Both were so good. I just found your blog and I am so excited to know of another vegan in Memphis! I was beginning to think I was the only one!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I really love tofu & those tofu's look deeeelicious.

Babette said...

It looks deliciously greasy =)

morganbb said...

Sad to say I live in Memphis, have not been eating meat for over a year, and I have NEVER eaten at this place! Unfortunately Mid-town is so far for me and of course all the great vegan/vegetarian joints are in mid-town!!!

Anonymous said...

asd