Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Food Truck Fare

Until today, food trucks weren't allowed in the city of Memphis. We're no Portland, after all. But maybe we're one step closer now. The Memphis City Council approved an ordinance today allowing food trucks to serve within 50 feet of a downtown restaurant or 300 feet of a restaurant anywhere else in the city.

Before, only hot dog carts were allowed. And we're not talking veggie dog carts. But today, in an attempt to sway the city council's vote, a local group called Beyond BBQ and the Center City Commission hosted a special food truck festival in Court Square at lunchtime. My fave vegan-friendly eatery, Fuel Cafe, had a truck there along with Crepe Maker, Yolo frozen yogurt, A Square Meal on Wheels, and the Rolling Pit. Nearly 600 people showed up in support!

I waited an hour in this line for Fuel's food truck:

When I finally reached the front of the line, I was faced with a few food choices – a vegan burger or vegan tacos:

Here's one of Fuel's cooks, busily preparing yummy food:

Since I've had Fuel's delicious vegan burger several times, I opted for the tacos, which aren't served in their restaurant:

Crispy corn tortillas were stuffed with Fuel's crumbled house-made veggie burger, vegan cheddar, salsa, lettuce, and vegan sour cream. They were served with black beans, white rice, and vegan coleslaw (hidden under the tacos).

So, so worth the wait! I'd wait an hour for that meal all over again right now. I hope Fuel opens a regular food truck now since it's legal in the city. Yea for food trucks!

12 comments:

Kari said...

There's no food trucks where I am either...but that's just because there's not any demand or foot traffic. Oh to move to Portland, or, now maybe Memphis?

The Health Sensei said...

i've never seen people wait an hour to get that kind of food in my life...i had to LOL. no food trucks here in pittsburgh, and we don't have the patience to wait anyway...

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Those look yummy! We don't have a lot of food trucks here either, not sure what the laws are, but a guy I went to high school with has started his own vegan food truck which is very exciting :) He's just getting started but I imagine he is going to be very successful.

jessy said...

we have food trucks here in rva, although its suuuuuper slim pickins for vegans. and even less for those who are xgfx. but i think things may change some day. that's so awesome on food trucks being legal now in your part, Bianca. w00t! the tacos from Fuel look damn delicious and well worth the wait indeed, my friend!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

You're making me drool!

I haven't ever been to a food truck, I don't think... Well, unless you count the State Fair food booths or a pretzel vendor in NYC... Such a cool concept!

Just Us said...

That's awesome, and the tacos look delish. I wish Jackson was big enough to have food trucks. I miss the perks of living in a big city!

River said...

How cool! The tacos look really good! You're going to have to come up with your own Vegan Crunk food truck now! :D

Alan Roettinger said...

Lucky me--I AM a food truck! But I have to say, your Mexi-meal doesn't look like it fell off a truck; it looks pretty damn good. Maybe I'll have to change my opinion of the ol' "roach coach" system ;-)

Unknown said...

Looks like a much needed food option. Can't believe that 600 people showed up.

Trina said...

I so wish I still lived in Memphis, I would have been downtown for this.

SN: Why did my cousin tell me being a Vegan is to extreme. I so wanted to go off on her, but she hung up before I got the chance.

Anonymous said...

I waited in line for 40 minutes at Fuel's truck and it was SO worth the wait! I can't wait until the food trucks (theirs in particular) are up and serving.

el Yani said...

We have taco trucks in Los Angeles that are definitely worth the wait though there are no vegan options:(