Monday, December 13, 2010

A Little Hard Work and Determination

Our power went out at the office this morning after a tractor-trailer ran into a utility pole down the block. This is bad news for a newspaper on deadline. Without lights, a wireless internet signal, or phone lines, we were all forced to go back home and work remotely. For some people, that might sound awesome, but I like to be at my desk when I'm working. Lucky for me, the lights came back on around 12:30 p.m., and I was able to go back into the office.

Unfortunately, all that driving back and forth meant losing valuable writing and editing time, and I needed a little encouragement to get through the afternoon. Thankfully, my sample box of the new Intention Cookie flavors from Bountiful Vegan arrived about an hour after I got back to my desk. Look at these yummy new flavors — Oatmeal Raisin, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, and regular Chocolate Chip:

I've mentioned Bountiful Vegan in several posts (including this recent one about their holiday gift baskets!), but only because I love this company and their cookies! It's indie-owned and the big vegan cookies are made with all-natural ingredients. They're packaged in plant-based compostable materials, and they're magic. Seriously. They really are magic. Each cookie comes with an "intention statement" that you're supposed to repeat (or think) as you eat it and you'll attract positive qualities to your life.

Judging by the day I was having, I figured I could use a little Determination to make it until 5 p.m. The Oatmeal Raisin cookie promised just that:

Did it work? Well, sure. Eating cookies at your desk always makes the work seem less daunting! I was so determined after eating half of this cookie that I decided to eat the other half.

I washed my cookie down with a hot mug of Aveda's Comfort Tea. I'm not usually a fan of caffeine-free, herbal teas, but this licorice root-based tea is absolutely fabulous! My favorite tea in the world!


How do you prefer to work? At home or at the office? What are your favorite desk snacks?

11 comments:

The Health Sensei said...

my fave desk snacks seem to be kale chips...it helps that any non-vegan who tries them also love them as well!

Vegan Epicurean said...

I was always much more effective working from work. Probably because I could be distracted too easily working remotely. There is always a cat to pet or something I could do in the kitchen if I am home. ;-)

My favorite work snacks were things like hummus and crudite, cucumber slices and almond cheese, lentil pate and veggies, or fruit and nut butter.

Ali

Vegan Epicurean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
foodfeud said...

Tea and cookies sound perfect together and I love your cup! I don't really snack much at work because I don't enjoy crumbs..or dirty hands on food. I usually stick with something easy like a piece of fruit.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Pistachios and clementines. I work from home, and I'm surprised I haven't worn a grove in my hardwood floor from walking from my office to the kitchen and back.

liz said...

I love the idea that they come with intention statements, food that will attract positive qualities to my life is awesome

aimee said...

Mmmm. Tea and cookies, perfect to lift the spirits!

Leslie Richman said...

Mm nice! I haven't tried these cookies yet, but I want to. I love Comfort Tea, and I love your mug!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

I love that tea! So good! I rarely bring tea to work though, I'm a coffee girl.

Susan said...

I don't have a desk, and I can't really work from home because I am a kitty vet. So I just have to work from work. ;)
My favourite snacks at work though are fruit, dips with crackers and vegetable sticks, soy yoghurt and every now and then a muffin or a cookie.
Those cookies sound very cute - I like that they come with a little message.

jp said...

i work at a veg restaurant so i constantly get to work and eat at the same time! Glorious! Except for the serving part. Also, I have 3 boxes of Aveda tea in my "tea drawer." Right on!