Thursday, December 23, 2010

I Want Candy!

I've gotten used to the fact that I can no longer have candy bars or fancy-schmancy gourmet truffles whenever I want. Sure, I could order overpriced vegan candy bars, and sometimes I do. But those things have become rare treats because shipping is a bitch.

Lucky for me, Stephanie (Poopie Bitch) made me an array of homemade vegan versions of all my conventional candy faves for Christmas! She piled all the treats — at least 10 of each thing — into a big ole gift bag. Unloading each package of chocolates from the bag was so much fun!

On the fancy side, she made some Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles with Maker's Mark bourbon. These have a complex, sophisticated flavor fit for a Southern Belle (like me!):

I love, love, love coconut, so imagine my surprise when I saw a big bag of these Vegan Coconut Bon Bons. They taste just like a Mounds Bar with its signature, sweetened moist coconut filling:

These Peppermint Bon Bons were like tiny bite-sized York Peppermint Patties:

But my very, very fave are these Peanut Butter Cups!!!! The one candy that I miss the most are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Seriously. If they were vegan, I'd eat one, like, every day. But honestly, Steph's vegan cups are better than any Reese's cup I remember. I still have a pretty good stash of these left and you can bet your ass that I'll be hoarding them:

Finally, Steph made me a jar of Orange Marmalade. Her husband said it's from his family's secret recipe, and his people are British. I'm pretty sure the Brits know a thing or two about marmalade. I haven't cracked open the jar yet, but I can't wait to spread a little on an English muffin with Earth Balance:

22 comments:

Teresa said...

omg!
YUM!!!!!!!!!

The Health Sensei said...

talk about an awesome, generous friend! have a great holiday Bianca, can't wait for our swap in the new year :)

Mackenzie said...

oohhhhhh betsy! this is going to be dangerous information for me! now i HAVE to start my vegan candy making experiments...
it all looks so so so amazing!

Just Us said...

Oh...I also miss Reese's Peanut Butter cups. She hooked you up...every thing looks awesome! It's nice to have great friends like that! :o)

celyn said...

This is so lovely! <3 Poopiebitch.

Ricki said...

Wow, you are so lucky--both because you have such a great friend and of course because you get to eat all those incredibly goodies!! Everything looks scrumptious.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season, Bianca!

Kaycee said...

Those all look soooo good!

I had a hard time with candy too for awhile. All of the candy bars that are vegan are also way over-priced and honestly not that great. (I don't always crave the darkest chocolate you can find). I finally found a "creamy sweet" chocolate bar that tastes live Dove milk chocolate to me (soooo good!). I also found a pretty big box of truffles at my local health food store that was only $4 and they were to die for!

Here are links to pictures of what I'm talking about, try them out!

Creamy Sweet Chocolate Bar
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G5GmheewR3s/TOGAPESIfwI/AAAAAAAAACI/LOkVV1KxD_w/s1600/scd.jpg

Truffles
http://www.digifract.com/VB/truffles.jpg

Anonymous said...

I love being vegan-but one of the only things I truly miss is fine chocolate! I can't wait to make these!

-Jesse @ happygoluckyvegan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Stephanie MADE all of those?! Wow, she's the coolest person ever.

Dianne said...

Those are all candies I miss! Peppermint patties and Reese's are the saddest because I can't even find vegan versions in NYC :-( and I'm too lazy to make my own hee hee. Enjoy!

Administrator said...

Peanut Butter Cups!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH! *dead*

Miss Rachel's Pantry said...

Ohhh I miss peanut butter cups! I want your friend to be my friend, too!

dreaminitvegan said...

So yummy, that's all I can say!

MeloMeals said...

What a wonderful gift!

I am not even going to start making candy. hahaha..

Anonymous said...

These all look so yummy. Hope she shares the recipes with you, so you can share with us readers!!

Anonymous said...

Does Steph have a blog where she has posted the recipes for these candies? They all sound AMAZING!

Millie said...

Biamca your killing us with these chocolates....YUM!!!!

Leslie Richman said...

Yum yum yum!!!

the [sugar] apothecary said...

GOOD LORD. Those are making me droooool. While I am not vegan, my best friend has been for years so I can certainly understand the void left by the absence of Reese's PB cups. But alas, those look like an AMAZING substitute.

Julia said...

Can you post the recipe for these candies? They look awesome!
I am starting my own blog about being a vegan and being a teenager and would love to post those recipes (with your permission of course).
Check it out: http://www.the-teenage-vegan.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

What an awesome gift!

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

I am drooling over those Bourbon Pecan Pie Truffles!