Monday, December 20, 2010

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Pita Cafe

Over the last six years of my veganism, I'd like to think I've become somewhat of a falafel expert. It sort of comes with the territory. Vegans know hummus, and vegans know falafel. It's just what we do. And having sampled falafel at a gajillion Memphis eateries, I've concluded that the best damn falafel in Memphis comes from Pita Cafe on Park Avenue. Their Falafel and Hummus Wrap is Middle Eastern magic:

Now I know this half-eaten photo of my wrap from tonight isn't the best representation, but I was hungry. I snapped a quick inside shot and quickly devoured the rest. Their falafel is always made to order, so you have to wait a bit. But the wait is so worth it. Besides falafel and a generous amount of hummus, my wrap contained lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, cucumbers, hot pepper relish, and hot sauce. Yum!

Look how big this wrap is! I wish you could see the whole thing in this photo. It's at least a foot long, and I ate every bite.

I met Stephanie (Poopie Bitch), her husband Richard, and their new baby at Pita Wraps tonight to exchange Solstice gifts. They come here so much that the staff knows them by name!

Steph gave me giant bag filled with homemade vegan candy, but I couldn't get a great shot at the table. Come back tomorrow to see Steph's vegan chocolates and ridiculously cute pictures of my pets opening their Solstice gifts.

Pita Cafe is located at 3950 Park Avenue. Call 901-452-1055.

9 comments:

poopiebitch said...

Haha - that picture of us is hilariously bad!

Anonymous said...

I love falafel and I love wraps! I love them three times as much when combined! Yours looks fantastic!

MeloMeals said...

Yum! I miss an good authentic falafel.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

YUM!!! Falafel is probably my very favorite food. *drool*

Just Us said...

Yum...that wrap looks delish! I love falafel! The next time I get to Memphis, I'll have to drag my husband to Pita Cafe! :o)

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I love your words on the falafel. You speak the truth.

Jill said...

That looks like one awesome falafe! If you say it's the best, than I want to try it!!! But so far away...

Erin said...

I definitely have a falafel hierarchy for all the places within walking distance of my office. Falafel rules! Pita Cafe sounds pretty awesome.

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful falafel wrap.