Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Old-Fashioned "Fish" Fry

... I mean, "fish" bake. In the South, folks love to fry catfish. People gather in backyards during the summer to stand around, drink cheap beer, and deep-fry cornmeal-battered catfish in a Fry Daddy. I'm guessing these sorts of parties might happen in other parts of the country too, but they were certainly a fixture in my Arkansas hometown when I was growing up.

My parents never ate seafood, and so I grew up without ever having tasted shrimp, crab, lobster, or any of that nastiness. But they do love catfish, and as a kid, I remember liking it too. But one bad experience with a rotten fish (seriously, this thing was disgusting) turned me off of all fish forever. Of course, it wasn't long after that bad fish experience that I went veg at age 14. Needless to say, I do not miss fish or seafood.

But I had to include a fish fry-style recipe in my cookbook. The book is meant to be an homage to veganized Southern cuisine, and fish fries are a big part of Southern culture. Thankfully, my Baked Tofu Fish doesn't taste too terribly fishy. And it's not fried (gasp!) so it's even healthy! I use dulse flakes for that fishy taste, but dulse is pretty mild compared with, say, nori.

Here's my Baked Tofu Fish with a Hush Puppy Corn Muffin and some Spicy Fried Hominy (the homemade tartar sauce isn't pictured):

The corn muffin and hominy recipes are also going in my cookbook. I figured that baking the fish meant that I should also bake the hush puppies. See, even a Southern girl can cook healthily every now and then!

And the hominy ... well, it's sauteed. But it's still fairly low in calories. I love me some hominy, especially doused with a good bit of black pepper.

17 comments:

chocolatecoatedrunner said...

Yum

JEZ RENA said...

There are actually two traditional swedish dishes that include rotten fish. Lutfisk and surströmming. The smell is horrible.
/Jess
P.S. Your blog is awesome! D.S.

mirbrewer said...

Girl! I can't WAIT for your cookbook to come out. Everything looks SO scrumptious. Although I'm not technically from the south, my daddy's people are from Mississippi and I guess you can take the family out of the south but you can't take the south out of the family.

The Health Sensei said...

im starting to think you're posting these awesome-looking recipes every day to tease me! ;) damn, another classic-looking dish!

Eric said...

Hush Puppy Corn Muffin, yes please!

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

SWEET! I'm all over those hush puppy corn muffins!!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I am in a frenzy over your cookbook. I NEED IT!

Cody grew up here in Saudi like me, but his papa is from deep in the south of Louisiana and oh boy do they love a fish fry down there! In fact, when we first went vegan that was the only thing that Cody worried about, missing fried fish and sea food. I can't wait to get your cookbook and make this for him to satisfy his cajun tastebuds!

Jessica said...

I used to love catfish, too, until I saw one swimming. I think I'd be ready to try a tofu version.

Carrie said...

Catfish look so nasty - I don't know how people can eat them!

Love your vegan, healthy version though. :)

Just Us said...

Oh man...I used to love fried catfish, until I watched my uncle dress them (disgusting & sad)! So, how long until the cook book comes out? Your dishes look and sound so yummy!

jess_fildespages said...

I think you should just open up a restaurant while youre at it too! every time i come to your blog the wait for your cookbook gets longer and longer!!!

radioactivegan said...

I can remember many trips to Reelfoot lake for fried catfish ... I can't wait to try this one out.

On another note, I won Etre the Cow from your blog a while ago. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to pass it on to someone else, if you know anyone else interested in the book: http://theradioactivegan.blogspot.com/2010/06/dont-give-me-no-bull.html

Erin said...

You've made me realize that there's not enough hominy in my life.

Vegan In The VI said...

I'm w/Jessica. PLEASE just open a restaurant.

Jessica said...

Very creative! Love the pics. What a neat idea for a cookbook. The South is so steeped in a "meaty" tradition that it's nice to see some new traditions being born!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Babette said...

That looks so good. I'm really looking forward to your cookbook. I really like the fact that it is mostly low in fat!

And I love your blog. I never leave comments, but it is one of the blogs I enjoy reading the most! You are doing a great job!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

Bianca:
I truly cannot wait for your cookbook. Can it be preordered? I want to send my dear old dad a copy.