Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Pizze Stone

If I lived in a far-off magical land like Portland or San Francisco, I'm sure I'd have access to vegan cheese takeout pizza. But I live in Memphis, and if I want vegan cheese pizza, I've gotta get my butt in the kitchen and make it my damn self.

A few places around here offer "vegan pizza," which is really just a roasted veggie pizza with no cheese. And that's all fine and good. But I typically take the leftovers home, top 'em with Daiya, and pop 'em in the oven. Pizza is just better with cheese, especially vegan cheese.

But Pizze Stone, a new-ish pizza joint in my 'hood, offers something just as tasty as vegan cheese pizza — Hummus Pizza!

A personal pan-sized crisp cracker-thin pizza crust is topped with creamy hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers, and minced red onion. Though it typically also comes with feta and goat cheese, it's no problem to leave those off.

Funny story: My mom, dad, and boyfriend ate at Pizze Stone a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the Hummus Pizza, while they all ordered melty cheesy pizzas. When the pies arrived, I immediately dug in. The Hummus Pizza is served cold like a salad pizza, but my dad didn't realize that. He saw me shove pizza in my face, and assumed the pies weren't very hot. So he took a big bite of his cheese pizza and burned the roof of his mouth! Well, at least he'll know better from now on.

Pizze Stone is located at 1545 Overton Park Avenue. Call 901-725-7806 or visit their website here.

12 comments:

Theresa said...

Hummus pizza? Sounds yum(mus).

Belle said...

I've been on a hummus kick lately so this sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it out.

Lisa is Vegan on $10 a Day (or Less!) said...

That's brilliant. I use hummus as a really thick salad dressing, too. Will definitely try it as a pizza topping!

The Health Sensei said...

omg hummus pizza FTMFW!!!! i think we can make this ourselves, at home! woot!

jess_fildespages said...

This is my next pizza. I could live off of hummous! And Pizzas-theres just nothing that compares!

Eric said...

hummus pizza eh? interesting. Ive been wanting to try one of those bean spread on pizza... might try this too. I liked the story as well :)

Lauren said...

WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT TO PUT HUMMUS ON A PIZZA?!

jessy said...

hooray for one tasty hummus pizza! i've gotta try something like that at home - i've read that white bean spread pizzas rock, too. yum! great pictures from bonnaroo, Bianca! i'm so jealous you got to see Tori, The Flaming Lips, and Weezer. w00t! i think Ween was there this year again, too - they're my absolute fav! :D dan and i used to follow them around back in the day. ah ha ha! 90's is pretty damn hot, especially without a lot of shade or nice areas to shower and use the restroom. too funny on the walmart bathrooms. :D thanks for sharing the fun with us!

Just Us said...

YUM!!! That sounds delicious! I will have to check that place out next time we are in Memphis.

Leslie Richman said...

I've never tried hummus pizza, gonna have to get on that ASAP!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Hummus pizza sounds heavenly! I'm going to have to try to make that myself. I recently had a pizza with guacamole on it and it was delicious :)

Jessica said...

Yay for having a good option when eating out! Even when you love cooking at home, it's nice to go out sometimes, especially when you find something tasty at a restaurant.