Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Cinco Eats, Birthday Burgers, and More

My mama turned 70 this past Saturday, so I made a quick trip to Arkansas on Thursday/Friday to celebrate. My mom wanted to keep dinner simple, so she grilled some Impossible Burgers while my dad made homemade French Fries in the deep fryer. Can't go wrong with birthday burgers!

I spent the night Thursday, so we had a nice brunch on Friday morning after I wrapped up my work (I'm off work at 9:30 a.m. on Fridays). Mama made a Vegan Breakfast Casserole with Just Egg, Impossible sausage, biscuits, and gravy. And she made the best homemade Hash Browns on the side! It's been years since I've those kind of hash browns.

On Saturday night, a few friends and I had an impromptu dinner at Good Fortune. I've had all of the vegan items on their menu now, but there was one veganizable thing that I hadn't had yet. The Mazeman Ramen normally comes with egg yolk, but I asked them to leave that off. This is a tasty, brothless ramen with vegan miso butter-coated mushrooms and vegan burger meat. Really good!

And of course Sunday was Cinco de Mayo. Global Cafe hosted a beer mile, and I really wanted to do it. But it was at 10 a.m., and I have to write my column on Sundays for work. So I knew I wouldn't be able to write after four beers. But I figured one margarita wouldn't hurt. Some friends went to watch the race and then we had margs.

And I ordered Global's Vegan Avocado Toast to eat. This is a full-on sandwich with what appeared to be a whole avocado, some roasted chiles, hummus, and sprouts. Really good and very filling.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You always know how to celebrate a holiday! Happy Birthday to Mama Crunk- her birthday food looks festive and delicious. My husband and son would love that casserole- they're big Impossible fans.
I've never done a beer mile. I don't think it would go well for me, even if I didn't have to work afterwards.