Monday, May 25, 2020

Vegan Grillin' for Memorial Day!

Paul and I got a head start on Memorial Day grilling on Saturday since he had to work in Nashville today. We have a rusty, old charcoal grill that we drag out a couple times a year, cover liberally in foil, and load up with as much food as we can. I love eating grilled leftovers for days! That's the taste of summer.


I already had some Field Roast burgers in the fridge, but when we got to the grocery store to stock up, Paul picked up a packet of meat brats for himself. When he tossed them into the cart, I said, "What if we got Beyond Brats instead?" Of course, the Beyond Brats were more expensive, but he agreed. Yay! Vegan win!

Bring It Food Hub — a local CSA hub — gave me a giant bag of local produce last Friday so I could cook with a few things and share recipes on the blog. We decided to use the asparagus and green tomatoes from that CSA share, plus we bought some corn on the cob and stuff for potato salad.


Voila! Look at all that food! Field Roast Burgers, Grilled Corn, Grilled Garlic-Lemon Asparagus, Smoky Potato Salad, Grilled Foil Pack Mushrooms, and Corn on the Cob. We grilled the brats too, but we saved those for Sunday's supper.

I put some Miyoko Cheddar Shreds on my burger, no cheese at all for Paul. So he had a totally vegan meal!


The Smoky Potato Salad is from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook. It's made with olive oil and vinegar rather than mayo, and it's flecked with slivered almonds for a nice crunch. There's a little smoked paprika and liquid smoke for a bacony flavor.


I'll be sharing my recipes for the grilled asparagus and fried green tomatoes in tomorrow's post!



The next night, on Sunday, we had our grilled brats, plus leftover asparagus and corn from the grill. I made some more fried green tomatoes, and I made some mashed potatoes with gravy (using the leftover grilled mushrooms). Both of these meals mean Paul had another totally meat-free weekend! He did have some cheese and non-vegan chips, so it wasn't a vegan weekend. But close!


1 comment:

Susan said...

That's so cool that he was open to getting the vegan brats! Looks like a wonderful summery weekend with the grill!