Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Recipe: Vegan White Bean & Veggie Quesadillas!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Bring It Food Hub — a Memphis-based CSA hub that sources produce and goods from regional farmers — gave me a CSA share last week so I could create a few fun recipes using local foods!

I've been looking for new lunch ideas for those days when there aren't enough leftovers from the night before. And last Thursday, I got inspiration from a No Meat Athlete podcast on quick vegan lunches. They listed off a bunch of easy ideas that I'd never thought of as lunches (like avocado toast! FOR LUNCH! WHAT?!), and there was a mention of vegan quesadillas. Of course, I've made quesadillas before, but it's been awhile, and I'd kind of forgotten about them. So on Monday, I whipped up a White Bean & Veggie Quesadilla for lunch.


In the past, my quesadillas were usually just beans or plant meats with vegan cheese, but why not up the health factor and pack it with veggies? I used some spinach from the CSA, as well as a jar of local salsa verde from Winchester Farm (also in the CSA). I love that Bring It includes some dry goods and preserves in their bags. What fun surprises!

I'm sharing my quick recipe, but these quesadillas are very versatile, so you could swap out any of the veggies. Or you could use regular salsa instead of salsa verde. Or you could leave out the vegan cheese if you'd rather. It's your quesadilla! Own it!



Vegan White Bean & Veggie Quesadillas
Yields one serving

1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup baby spinach
2 tsp. taco seasoning
1/2 cup white beans (Great Northern or cannellini)
1 whole wheat burrito-sized tortilla
1/4 cup vegan cheese
2 Tbsp. salsa verde
Lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa for serving

Place the red bell pepper, corn, and garlic in a non-stick skillet, and saute on medium heat for about 2 minutes. No oil needed! After a couple minutes, add a couple splashes of water to prevent the veggies from sticking and cook another 5 minutes or so, or until the veggies are tender. Add 1 tsp. of the taco seasoning, and stir to combine. Stir in the spinach until wilted. Remove from heat.

While the veggies are cooking, heat the white beans in a small saucepan. Mash with a fork and add the remaining tsp. of taco seasoning. Cook until heated through. You can also cook these in the microwave if you have no shame like me. :-)

Heat a large skillet (you can use the same one from your veggies; just wipe it out), and spray with a little non-stick cooking spray. Place your tortilla in the skillet and spread one half with white beans. Top with veggies, and then top with cheese and salsa. Fold the other half of the tortilla on top. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned. Flip and cook on the other side until lightly browned. 

Serve with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and salsa. I added some oil-free, air-fried corn chips on the side!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Ha, yes, avocado toast can be an any time meal!
I love making quesadillas with random leftovers.

Srishti Verma said...

well thanks for the information about this topic, nice post

Alexa echo dot