Thursday, May 9, 2019

Doughnuts! Fried Tofu! Burritos!

The cafe at Crosstown Arts, where I work in communications, isn't 100% vegan. They do serve a few dishes with eggs or cheese, but most everything is veganizable (and honestly, about 90% of the dishes are vegan anyway). A couple weeks ago, I saw the Spicy Fried Tofu was back on the TODAY menu (the daily specials), but it was served with a smoked gouda mac & cheese. So I asked if they could veganize the plate for me. I was served Spicy Fried Tofu with Marinara Pasta and Salad. PERFECT!


The spicy fried tofu used to be a fixture on the ALWAYS menu (the stuff they have every day), but it was rotated off since that menu changes by the season. I was so sad to see it go, but I'm thrilled that it comes back sometimes as a special. Chef Raymond is a master at fried tofu.

The cafe serves fresh-baked vegan pastries daily, and it's always a surprise what they'll have. Yesterday, I passed by the counter and saw these Strawberry Basil Danishes with cashew cream cheese. I had to get one! I split this with a co-worker so bonus points for me for sharing.


One day last week, I walked by the cafe and saw FREAKING Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts. Holy hell. Y'all know how I feel about doughnuts, and this one was just perfect.


Speaking of doughnuts, I grabbed a couple of Cinnamon Glazed Doughnuts at Five Daughters Bakery in Nashville when I was there for the marathon a few weekends back. No trip to Nashville is complete without a stop by Five Daughters for vegan doughnuts.


Five Daughters is located next door to Graze, my favorite vegan brunch spot in Nashville. On this visit, I got the Roasted Root Veggie Burrito with roasted sweet and white potatoes, carrots, and (maybe parsnip????), plus cashew cheese and quinoa. Guac salad on the side.


And finally, here's a treat from Lulu's Baked last weekend — Asparagus Cashew Cheddar Tart. So excited to eat it that I forgot to take a pic until after I'd bitten into it.


3 comments:

Susan said...

Cinnamon doughnuts are the best doughnuts!
I am enamoured of everything in this post. But strawberry basil cream cheese danishes? DAMN that sounds amazing. And that root vegetable wrap? Yes please.

Hillary said...

I agree with Susan, everything on this post looks incredible! Since I'm terrified of deep frying or even shallow frying if I'm being honest, I wouldn't be able to resist fried tofu either!!

Sarah said...

Oh wow, yum! Everything looks amazing, that crispy tofu sounds sooooo good! I'm so jealous of those doughnuts, I want!! I am in agreement with everyone above, everything in this post looks seriously incredible!