Sunday, October 7, 2018

Bluff City Vegan Eats: DWJ #2

A few weeks back, my vegan co-worker buddy Madelyn insisted that we get lunch at DWJ #2, the Cooper-Young location of an awesome Korean BBQ spot (they have another location out on Hacks Cross). It's located right next door to my home away from home, Imagine Vegan Cafe, but I'd never been. Mostly because if I'm in the Cooper-Young neighborhood, I'm usually eating at Imagine.

But Madelyn had recently tried DWJ when her vegan son was in town, and she really wanted me to try it. DWJ has several vegan menu items, so we found plenty to eat! Madelyn suggested we start with an appetizer of Goonmandu — fried Korean dumplings stuffed with clear rice noodles, tofu, and veggies. These were amazing! I loved having rice noodles inside a dumpling!


For my entree, I went with Bibimbap, one of my all-time fave Korean dishes. The vegetarian version had tofu, zucchini, carrot, mushroom, lettuce, sesame oil, and sweet chili paste over white rice.


You can get it in a regular bowl, but I recommend ordering dolsot-style. That means it's served in a hot stone bowl that continues to cook the the white rice so it gets all crispy and crunchy on the bottom. 

Love this place! Madelyn ordered the Jobchae, a stir fry of clear noodles with tofu, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and carrots. It looked really great too, and I'll have to get that next time.

DWJ #2 is located at 2156 Young Ave (in the original Imagine Vegan Cafe location!). Call 901-207-6204.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh rice noodles in dumplings sounds amazing! I love Bibimbap too!!

Unknown said...

Nice! Bibimbap in the hot stone bowl is a must, that rice crust is the best part. Were there any banchan? There’s often this bean sprout banchan with a bit of sesame oil and soy, it’s really simple and so delicious. Usually there’s a soybean paste stew with tofu and veggies that’s vegan- like a more intense miso flavor. If you see mother in law brand kimchi at whole foods they make a few vegan kimchi that are amazing with a better fermented funk than i have been able to get with making my own
Ttrockwood

Jennifer said...

I love korean food! I usually like to make the bibimbap bowls where I stirfry all the veggies in the hot sauce. The sauce caramelizes just a smidge, it's amazing.