Friday, September 4, 2015

Vegan Mofo: Weird Food Combo


For Vegan Mofo Day 4, we're supposed to write about a weird food combo we love. I'm actually pretty sure I love lots of weird food combos. But as I was reading through the daily Mofo prompts and came across this one, my mind immediately jumped to peanut butter, Marmite, and chili sauce.

I love this combo on toast! In fact, I had it for breakfast yesterday!


I'd have probably never discovered this combo had it not been for Lisa of Panda with Cookie. We were on a PPK vegan group camping trip called VeganStock in Asheville, North Carolina in 2009. And we were sitting around the campsite chatting about vegan food — as vegans do ALL THE TIME — when the topic of Marmite came up. At that time, I'd already developed a love for this British yeasty spread. But when Lisa said she liked to combine Marmite with peanut butter, it blew my mind.

I had to try it as soon as I got home. And I loved it! But something was missing. It had that creamy, fatty saltiness, but it needed something. Something spicy! So I added sriracha. The result is almost like a Thai peanut satay sauce on toast.

These days, I prefer Yellowbird Jalapeno Sauce over sriracha. It's all-natural and mostly organic, and it contains sneaky veggies, like carrots. I'm also LOVING this Everland Chia Peanut Spread that I found at T.J. Maxx, which means I'll probably never find it again. Oh well.


5 comments:

Babette said...

That is weird indeed! =)

Cadry's Kitchen said...

I really need to revisit Marmite. I tried it once 8 or 9 years ago and thought it was okay, but I need to give it another go in case my palate has expanded. I love that Yellow Bird hot sauce! Have you tried the Green Dragon hot sauce from Trader Joe's? It's jalapeƱo based along with tomatillos, and it's my new favorite.

Rose said...

Satay sauce...totally! That's the first thing I thought of too when I read Marmite, peanut butter and chili.

Veggie Product Reviews said...

Very interesting combination! I don't think Marmite is GF, otherwise I'd try this. Yay! Asheville!

Susan said...

I am of course deeply committed to Vegemite above all other mites, and I like it with PB. I don't know about drizzling hot sauce all over it, because I have a very low tolerance for spicy, but I might try just a thin smear of sriracha over a corner of it next time.