Monday, September 25, 2023

Happy Fall, Y'all!

Fall is not my favorite season. I don't hate it. But I can't help but think that it just means winter is coming. And I do hate winter. But I do love all the fall holidays — my birthday, Halloween/Samhain, Thanksgiving. So there's reason to celebrate! And I did on Friday, the day before Mabon/Autumn Equinox. 

I lit some candles for the new season and enjoyed a Cinnamon Bun from Lulu's with a Diskin Bob's Your Uncle dry English cider from Nashville-based Diskin Brewing. Unfortunately, Memphis doesn't have a cidery. I don't love the sweet, mainstream ciders, like Angry Orchard, but a nice craft, dry cider is a real treat.

For dinner, I made the Moroccan Sweet Potato Stew (with seitan beef), Cumin Rice, and Cumin Yogurt from the Llewelyn's Sabbats Almanac. 


This was so good. It called for beef tips, so I made some homemade seitan tips. Plus, it has sweet potatoes, carrots, and dried apricots (a nice touch!). Another thing I love about fall is hearty soups and stews. I try not to eat a ton of stew during the summer so that I have something to look forward to in the fall. The season is more enjoyable when it comes with special foods. Granted, it's still nearly 90 degrees in Memphis and will probably stay warm through late October. But the mornings are getting a little chilly!

No comments: