Thursday, October 10, 2019

Papa Crunk's Vegan Power Balls!

This past weekend, I went home to visit my parents, and my dad gifted me with a bowl of his homemade power balls. He recently discovered a recipe for these whole food-based energy balls, and he veganized the recipe (by exchanging honey for agave) and added his own spin to them.


They're so good, y'all! These little peanut buttery snacks pack a big energy punch. I've been enjoying 1 or 2 before my runs this week, and they keep me satisfied throughout my runs. I sometimes struggle with getting hungry mid-run since I only have a small snack before my early morning runs. But these do the trick.

I love all the textures in these! He uses steel cut oats rather than rolled, which is what you'll find in most energy balls, and that makes for a much chewier ball. Plus, all the seeds and chocolate chips add lots of crunch.


He shared his recipe, so I wanted to share it with y'all!

Papa Crunk's Power Balls

1 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup agave
1 Tbsp. ground flax

Chop the dried cranberries into smaller pieces. Then mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove from fridge and roll into balls (about 2 Tbsp. per ball) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes before serve. These keep for several weeks in the fridge, and they also freeze well. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your dad is so cool! These sounds delicious. I love peanut butter balls.
I didn't know you could use dry steel cut oats in things! Do they soften a bit as the balls rest?
(Also, tee hee hee balls... power balls... ha...)