Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My Mama's Vegan Chicken & Dumplins Recipe

This past Saturday, my mama cooked a big ole family supper. Just because. She invited my grandmas and my aunts Mary and Dorothy, and we had a proper Southern summer meal of fried veggies, fruit cobbler, and sweet tea.


She made fried squash, fried okra, mashed potatoes, fried corn, cucumber-tomato salad, and chicken & dumplins. She made vegan dumplins for me and a meat version for everyone else. Check out the bottom of this post for her vegan dumplins recipe!

Plus, there were brown beans and cornbread.


And, of course, cherry cobbler for dessert.


Nothing beats a Southern fried supper, especially when it's prepared by my mama. I haven't had fried squash or fried okra in at least a year. I just don't fry foods at home very often, and besides, my mama does it better anyway. I'd rather just let her feed me those things.

After dinner, we took a family photo with the grandmas and aunts.


I had the leftover dumplins for lunch yesterday. So perfect with a side salad.


Someone on Facebook asked my mama for her vegan dumplins recipe, and she posted it in a comment. So I'm sharing here with y'all! She makes perfect dumplins. They're not sticky or gooey like some dumplins tend to be. She uses Gardein for the chicken. The Gardein scallopini could work well here, but they're a little harder to find these days, so she went with the Gardein Mandarin Chicken but just didn't use the mandarin sauce that comes with it. She doesn't specify how much chicken to use, but I'd say just chop up as much as you think you want!

Mama's Vegan Chicken & Dumplins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter
3/4 cup soy milk
1 1/2 qts. vegetable broth (plus 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance added to the boiling broth) 
Vegan Chicken (I used Gardein mandarin orange chicken without the sauce)

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork. Stir in the soy milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball. 
Bring the broth to a boil in a Dutch oven pan (or a big pot) on top of the stove. Roll out the dumplings on a floured board. Roll thin. Cut in to strips and then squares. 

Drop in the hot broth, stirring while you add them. Add vegan chicken. Cook them for about 15 minutes in boiling broth. Turn broth down to a slower simmer until done, about 20 to 30 more minutes.

11 comments:

Barb said...

Are the women in your family short, or is your daddy just that tall? :)

Bianca said...

Hahahaa, Barb! BOTH! He's pretty tall, and most of us (except my mom) are really short. :-)

Sam said...

Dumplings are my weakness! This looks like some proper good home-style cooking. Respect to your mum!

Sam

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness, that plate looks awesome. Nothing better than some fried okra, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and all the rest. Kudos to your mom.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!!! That meal sounds like it's worth a plane ticket...! I have always wanted to try southern style "dumplins" like those and yet they are hard to find and also never vegan- i am SO making these as soon as it is cool enough!
The leftovers kept ok in the fridge? I'm thinking i could make a big batch and then freeze extras to cook from frozen for future meals...
that family photo is really precious :)) you are so lucky to have your grandmas with you as well, that was such a wonderful meal for your mom to arrange and make!
Ttrockwood

Anonymous said...

Heaven on a plate! Does your mama use homemade vegetable stock or store bought, and if so, what brand? Thanks for sharing! Pamela from ATL

Bianca said...

Ttrockwood, they do keep well in the fridge. That pic of the bowl at the end of the post is actually my leftovers two days later! And Pamela, she uses storebought, but I'm not sure what brand she went with this time.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'm excited to make these!!
Ttrockwood

Jennifer said...

BLASPHAMY! Chick-un and dumplings should have fat fluffy dumplings! XD When I found out that dumplings are flat in the south I was a little offended- then I wanted to try it. Can't bash it until you try it right? Haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also want to try fried okra, but no one does it around here. I've too lazy to deep fry things. T_T

Cabby said...

Thank you and your mom for this recipe! I pinned it immediately and made it tonight. It's so simple and good! I used the gardein Mandarin chicken pieces (one bag) plus some soy "chicken ham". Made so much... I'm looking forward to leftovers!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks fantastic. Thank your mom for the recipe. I've never actually had chicken and dumplings so I can't wait to make this one day.