Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Stuff I Ate: Brown Food Edition

I'm back with a random meal mash-up post. And as always, I've got a ton of food pics, so I'll share some tonight and the rest tomorrow. I've got about one hour to get this blog post done, finish my laundry, and get some more chores done before bed, so we'll make this quick.

As noted in the title of this post, there's been a lot of brown food in my diet lately. And while brown food isn't always the healthiest, we all know brown food is the most delicious food.

One day a couple weeks back, as I was walking home from my Hoop Flow class at Co-Motion Studio, I passed the Tamale Trolley food truck parked outside Amurica (a photo studio/event space). I'd already planned out my dinner, which I was about to eat when I got around the block to my house. But I noticed the truck's menu said "Vegan Tamales," and well, I just can't let an opportunity like that pass me by. I grabbed an order of the most delicious Vegan Black Bean Tamales I've ever eaten. Seriously. That good. And they were huge! The red sauce on top was just perfect too.


I had lunch with a friend a couple weeks back at Phuong Long, a Vietnamese joint around the corner from my house. I got the Curry Tofu lunch special. Crispy deep-fried tofu coated in a coconut-curry sauce with carrots, onions, and bell peppers. Just the right portion for a lunch (but I only ate about half that mound of rice).


We split an order of Spring Rolls with peanut sauce. So much peanut sauce!


A couple Saturdays ago, the brunch bitches (Pam, Stephanie, and Megan) and I had a non-brunch date night. First, we went out for dinner at New Hong Kong — a hole-in-the-wall Chinese joint with a secret vegan menu filled with mock meats — and then we went to drive-in to watch the new Ghostbusters movie over parking lot cocktails poured in the back of Megan's SUV. Classy. At New Hong Kong, I ordered the Sesame Mock Chicken. The sauce was sweet 'n' sour with a slight hint of sesame, and the mock meat was deep-fried, gluten-based goodness.


They gave us a platter of Fried Sugar Biscuits while we waited for our food. I love these things! When I was a kid, I'd load up on these at the Chinese buffet. We gobbled several up before I remembered to take a picture.


Unfortunately, the mock meat dishes at New Hong Kong are pretty light on vegetables. There were maybe two pieces of broccoli hiding under that sesame chicken in the pic above. But I sauteed some more broccoli and carrots to add to my leftovers for lunch the next day. And I made brown rice to go with my leftovers because it makes me feel better about myself.


And finally, one more brown thing! A few months ago, my dad ordered me a dozen Larsen Bakery Chocolate Doughnuts from Vegan Essentials. I had four left in the deep-freezer, so I heated one up and enjoyed with some coffee a few days ago.


More pics tomorrow!

9 comments:

Patti said...

I think that your makeover of the mock sesame chicken looks more delicious than the original. I love veggies!

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

I've never really thought about it but you're right- brown foods ARE the most delicious! :) And I love the mock meat versions of sesame chicken. There's an asian place near me that I order delivery from a lot, it's ridiculously yummy- but also light on the veggies.

Dana Vickerson said...

Oh man! Those sugar biscuits bring me back to a Chinese buffet we used to go to in Blytheville when I was a kid. Man, memories.

All that food looks yummy. Have you had the black bean tamales at Izzy's in Little Rock? I get them with salsa/guac instead of the cheese sauce, and they are amazing.

House Vegan said...

Brown foods *are* the tastiest! I had a period last year when I noticed that like my last 15 recipes had been brown. It was a wake up call that I needed to make some changes hahah

affectioknit said...

Funny it was all brown/tan...still good...

~Have a lovely day!

Susan said...

Brown food is great food. Though your brown food was very versatile!

Tea and Sympatico said...

I would love to go to a drive in movie! Sadly they don't exist in England. And to accompany it with Chinese food and cocktails would be my idea of heaven.

Jennifer said...

That mock sesame chicken looks so friggin awesome!

You are lucky to have a drive through near you. Such a classic part of American culture but they are so hard to find!

Jae said...

seriously this looks amazing and gives me hope for the upcoming holidays. looks so good!!!!!

https://www.searedandshameless.com