Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Minimalist Baker Has a Cookbook! And It's Awesome!

I think we can all agree that, when it comes to vegan recipe blogs, Minimalist Baker is tops. That's the blog I send new vegans (or the veg-curious) to when they email me asking for vegan recipes. That's the place I turn when I need a recipe for anything from homemade coconut whipped cream to quinoa taco meat to Oreo cookie pancakes (yea, that's an actual thing).

So I was STOKED when I learned that Minimalist Baker blogger Dana Scultz had a new vegan cookbook out! It's called Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking, and it's basically a hardcover version of the blog. It's loaded with gorgeous full-color photos, and every single recipe is something I need to add to my way-too-long-to-ever-tackle, to-make wish list. Vegan cheddar beer soup, sweet potato sage raviolis, cornbread chili pot pies, pizza burgers, spicy braised tofu tostadas, garlic "cheddar" herb biscuits, pizza stuffed mushrooms, toasted dark chocolate coconut popcorn, pumpkin apple upside down cake, peanut butter cup puffed rice bars.

It's simple weeknight food made with wholesome ingredients, and most of the recipes are gluten-free (if that's your thing). I wanted to try so many recipes before reviewing this book, and I'll definitely be making that beer cheddar soup soon. But I figured I should go ahead and share my thoughts after making two dishes that turned out phenomenally.

I started with Thai Baked Sweet Potatoes and WOW! These are baked potatoes topped with sauteed savory-sweet chickpeas (seasoned with lots of spices, like coriander, garlic, ginger, and maple), a creamy ginger-tahini sauce, fresh herbs (from my front porch), lime juice, and sriracha (we use Yellowbird at my house). This dish was so wholesome and yet so satisfying. I felt really good about myself after eating it.


I also made the Spicy BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Grilled Pineapple. Since it's been so very hot here, I've been craving sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, chips, and salads. Simple meals that just seem to go with summer. This messy 'cue sandwich has summer written all over it. The jackfruit is slow-simmered in a homemade BBQ sauce that's both sweet and vinegary in true Southern style. The pineapple is grilled (but I "grilled" mine in a well-greased skillet). The sweetness of the fruit is the perfect complement to the tanginess of the jackfruit. So good. I've been eating these sandwiches all week! Today, I even had some of the leftover BBQ jackfruit in a salad with Just Ranch, veggies, and vegan cheese.


If you only buy a couple vegan books this year, definitely put this one on that list (also Baconish, which is equally awesome). Seriously. Nobody does simple, healthy, vegan home-cooking like Minimalist Baker. 

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooooh this looks good!!! The Minimalist Baker is amazing and the food you made from the book looks great! I will definitely have to check this book out. I bought the N'Ice Cream book based on your review and I am in love with it! I know I'd like this one too :)

foodfeud said...

That sweet potato is like the perfect meal to me. And I'm probably never going to make my own BBQ jackfruit, especially since I'm so in love with the Toad Style one here, but that sandwich is a thing of beauty and the pineapple an excellent touch. my mouth is watering at the thought of the tang!

Susan said...

This book is so high on my list to get. Both recipes you made look amazing.

Jennifer said...

Vegan Cheddar Beer Soup?! Sounds amazing!

Amey said...

Oh damn! I am so curious about this book, and I was really hoping to get a review copy (ha ha!). Alas! I really like their recipes a lot and this book looks great. :)