Tuesday, March 1, 2016

So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Yogurts! With Recipes!

It's day two of yogurt reviews! Yesterday, I reviewed the new carrageenan-free line of fruity So Delicious coconut yogurts. Those yogurts are pretty sweet and best for enjoying with fruit, granola, nuts, and seeds. But So Delicious also sent me their unsweetened coconut yogurts to try. These aren't new (at least I don't think they are), but I'd never had them because, for some reason, my Whole Foods doesn't carry any unsweetened vegan yogurts. And that makes me a little sad because unsweetened varieties are so versatile!


These are super-creamy yogurts, and there's no separation (unlike in their fruity yogurts, which do have a little separation). They have a nice tangy flavor. The coconut flavor is there, but it's subtle and mostly overpowered by tanginess. I really wish our Whole Foods would carry these. I've had some luck with special requests, so I'll have to ask about these.

I used the Unsweetened Vanilla Cultured Coconut Milk to make a banana yogurt smoothie that's loosely based off a recipe from the Vitamix cookbook. The yogurt not only made for a thicker, creamier smoothie, it also added just the right amount of yogurt-y tang to counter the sweetness of the banana and chocolate syrup.


Chocolate Banana Yogurt Smoothie
-------------------------------------------------
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla Cultured Coconut Milk
1 frozen banana
1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (I used Vega One French Vanilla)
1 Tbsp. chocolate syrup

Combine everything except chocolate syrup in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. 
Top with chocolate syrup.
---------------------------------------------------------

I decided to try the Unsweetened Cultured Coconut Milk in a savory application. The few times I've been able to get my hands on unsweetened yogurts, I've typically eaten them with bee-free honee or agave or something to add sweetness back in. But why add sweetness when they've created a yogurt without it?

So I googled "savory yogurt" and found some inspiration for savory yogurt breakfast bowls. After reading through a few ideas, I settled on making a Greek-inspired bowl that was sort of a cross between tzatzki and a salad.


Savory Greek-Style Yogurt Bowl
---------------------------------------------
1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Cultured Coconut Milk
1/4 English cucumber, diced
1 radish, diced
5 kalamata olives, sliced
1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
1 tsp. dried dill weed
Sea salt, to taste

Spoon the yogurt into a bowl and top with remaining ingredients. Salt to taste. Dig in!

7 comments:

Susan said...

I wish we could get So Delicious yoghurts over here. Even though they have a lot of coconut based ones, they don't make me feel sick like other coconut based yoghurts do. (Do you guys have Coyo? Eating that was when I finally realised that sometimes I felt sick because of coconut fat... I spent about three hours crying and dying on the sofa afterwards... gross).
I have enjoyed a lot of their fruity varieties of yoghurts when I have been in the US, but haven't had a chance to try the unsweetened ones before.

Hillary said...

The savory yogurt bowl looks so tasty I absolutely loved tzatziki sauce in my pregan days, so this is calling my name But unsweetened vegan yogurt is very hard to find!

Jennifer said...

I don't know why I always get amazed by savory yogurt options! But it makes sense! I've been using vegan yogurt in a lot of Indian cooking, and it has been super yummy.

the morose bee said...

A SAVORY YOGURT BOWL??!!! OH MY GOSH I AM TOTALLY GOING TO TRY THIS!!!!! I hate sweet things first thing in the morning and my brain's immediate thought with yogurt is fruit.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

These have been my favorite for a couple years. I like flavored yogurt, too, but I much prefer unsweetened!

Babette said...

That's a surprising breakfast! I think I'd rather eat that for lunch. Have you ever tried making your own yogurt?

Unknown said...

I would love to get my hands on unsweetened vegan yogurts!! Sometimes if i am really lucky there is one at whole foods but it's really not easy for me to get to the store and there's a 50/50 chance even then...
I lllooovvee savory yogurt bowls! My favorite combo is chopped tomatoes, cilantro, green onion, lots of black pepper and salted pumpkin seeds. Although without vegan yogurt i'll just whip silken tofu in my blender til smooth with a pinch of salt
Ttrockwood