Monday, October 6, 2014

So Delicious Halloween Ice Cream Bars!

We all scream ...


For ice cream! And because we're freakin' scared of all these ghosts and goblins and stuff!

Dude, So Delicious has gone and done the most magical thing. They've combined my favorite frozen dessert (coconut milk ice cream bars) and my favorite holiday (Halloween!!!!!!!!!!) in their new line of coconut milk frozen dessert holiday novelty bars.

I'd first heard about these on other blogs, but I hadn't seen them yet at my Whole Foods. So I assumed I'd never get to try them. But lo and behold, I got an email from So Delicious asking if I'd like to sample these for review. Uh, yeah. Like, super-excited all-caps YEAH! So Delicious sent me a cooler packed with dry ice and both of their new holiday frozen dessert bars (plus, there were some other fun new So Delicious products in there, but I'll be posting on those a little later).

Look!! Candy Corn and Pumpkin Spice Coconut Milk Dessert Bars!


I know the pumpkin spice craze has totally gotten out of control (and sometimes can be associated with "basic bitchiness"), but I don't even care because pumpkin spice is delicious, and it embodies all the magic of the season. If loving pumpkin spice is wrong, then I don't want to be right. My co-worker Max offered to be a hand model so long as he got to sample one of these Pumpkin Spice Bars.


Max, who is not vegan, wasn't so sure he was going to love vegan ice cream. But he took one bite and said, "That tastes just like real ice cream!" Of course, I informed him that vegan ice cream is real ice cream! But it's no wonder these could fool an omni. They're so ridiculously creamy, and the pumpkin spice is light and natural.

Later, I tried the Candy Corn Bars.


Now, I'll admit that I've never been a huge candy corn fan. The very non-vegan candies just taste like old sugar. Yuck. But I love the idea of candy corn. It's such an iconic Halloween candy. I couldn't imagine what these bars would taste like, but I was sure So Delicious would find a way to make candy corn delicious.

They did! These aren't candy corn flavored at all! The bottom layer is orange ice cream and the top is vanilla, with the very tip dipped in hard chocolate shell. Imagine an orange creamsicle with a smidge of crispy magic coconut chocolate! So good!

I have a couple bars left, and I'm savoring those for the rest of the month. Whole Foods is supposed to be carrying these through the end of October, so I'm hoping my Memphis store has them now. Also, look for So Delicious' new winter holiday Peppermint Star frozen dessert bars and Snowmen frozen dessert bars. They should be in stores already and on freezer shelves through January.

By the way, remember that dry ice I mentioned? Well, it was like an extra bonus prize! After I unloaded the ice cream into my office freezer, my co-workers Max and Toby decided to make witches' brew. Of course, they're wearing the protective So Delicious gloves they sent along.


5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I posted a photo of these on Facebook - I was too excited and just had to share that I finally found them at Whole Foods, haha. THANK YOU for your review! I haven't tried them yet, so I'm excited to now know that they are in fact worthy in taste.

Renard Moreau said...

[ Smiles ] I have never tasted them; but I have to admit that they do look delicious!

Sheridan said...

I saw these on the blogs too and would love to try them! Even though a creamsicle dipped in chocolate sounds awesome, I'm a little disappointed to hear they don't taste like candy corn, because I freakin' love candy corn and can never find any vegan varieties, of course. I'm going to have to look for these at our Whole Foods!

Susan said...

Very generous of Max to offer his services, and am glad to hear that these very real ice creams get the omni tick of approval! I love So Delicious, though I doubt we will get these Halloween flavours here.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

While I'm not so into the pumpkin spice craze (was just telling my best friend, in fact, that I'm already tired of it even though I haven't had a taste yet this year!), the winter treats sound fantastic! I'll be looking forward to trying them when the time comes. And thank you for clearing up the flavor mystery of those candy corn-inspired ice creams.