Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday

I had a review post of Terrapin Ridge sauces and salad dressings planned for tonight. But then I wrecked my car today, and I didn't get a chance to snap one last pic for the review. So that will have to wait until next week. But yea, I wrecked my car. I was headed home from the office when a lady pulled out in front of me as she was trying to turn left. She was really nice, and everyone was okay. Our cars were both towed though.

And to top that off, I think I may have re-fractured my foot. It's been bothering me for a few days now, but I finally came to terms with the pain today. I've been trying to ignore it because that's what I do. But if I ever want to run that half-marathon, I have to learn to rest when my body tells me to. I'm back in the fracture shoe (and occasionally the boot) for a bit until it feels better. Anyway, it's been a crappy today.

Thankfully, food makes everything better. I've been saving up "what I ate" pics for awhile now, so I have quite a few. And I didn't actually eat all this stuff today! A few weeks ago, I made a quick Spaghetti with Vodka Sauce and Sausage using Victoria Vegan Vodka Sauce, Upton's Naturals Italian Seitan, and gluten-free spaghetti.


There's this great little pop-up beer garden across from my office at the Tennessee Brewery building. It's called Untapped, and it runs every Thursday-Sunday until June 1st. They have food trucks and local beer, and since I work across the street, I've been popping in for food truck fare at lunch. They usually have vegan options. A couple weeks back, I grabbed these Black Bean & Mushroom Tacos and Cucumber-Chili Kool-Aid.


There was even a totally vegan food truck at Untapped one day! But I'm saving those food pics for a solo post about the truck. I want to try a couple more menu items there first.

Imagine Vegan Cafe celebrated their three-year anniversary two weeks ago! When they first opened, I worried that Memphis couldn't support a vegan restaurant. But they're doing very well! Yay! Anyway, I went by on their anniversary for Sangria and Birthday Cake (made by my pal Stephanie of Swell Baked Goods).


And I ordered the same thing I ordered on opening day three years ago — the French Dip Sub! Back then, I think I ordered a side of mac & cheese, but this time, I went with Collard Greens.


I went to the Beale Street Music Festival a couple weekends ago. It's an annual three-day Memphis music fest by the Mississippi River, and this year's line-up featured Snoop Dogg (aka Snoop Lion), the Dropkick Murphys, Joan Jett, Beats Antique, Pretty Lights, 311, and lots more. Some years, there's no vegan festival food. But this year, I fared pretty well. On the second day, I found Vegan Pinto Bean Tamales!


And on the last day, I found a totally vegan food truck called the Juice Caboose. They came down from New Hampshire for the fest. Here was their menu.


And here's what I ordered — the Guacamole Salad Wrap. Lots of guac, lettuce, pickled veggies. Very good and a nice balance to all the festie beer we were drinking.


Speaking of wraps, I made Robin Robertson's Sriracha Eggless Salad with Avocado from More Quick Fix Vegan recently. It's a tofu and chickpea "egg" salad with mashed avocado and lots of sriracha! It stuffed it into black rice tortillas.


I've been on a quesadilla kick lately. I ordered the "Steak" Quesadilla from Imagine Vegan Cafe last week. It has vegan cheese, Gardein beefless tips, and veggies inside. And I always order sides of vegan sour cream and guac.


And today, at lunch (before I wrecked my car), I ordered the Vegan Quesadilla at Deja Vu Creole and Vegetarian Restaurant. It has vegan cheese, spinach, and mushrooms. So good! I love that I can get vegan quesadillas at two places in Memphis!

 
Finally, tonight (after the car wreck), I treated myself to dessert! I figured after my bad day I deserved something sweet. So I borrowed Paul's car and went to Imagine for Vegan Strawberry Bread Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream! This was also baked by my friend Stephanie, and it really hit the spot.


6 comments:

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

What crap luck you were having yesterday! Dammit! Sorry to hear about the foot and the car... I kept re-injuring my foot with a previous fracture (thankfully, not this latest one, knock on wood)so I know how frustrating that is.

And the good news is, at least you didn't get into an accident in the RV cause you need that to come to CO this summer :)

Babette said...

Good idea to treat yourself to cake and ice cream after that car wreck. At least no one was hurt, right.

All the food looks really delish.

Sheridan said...

Everything looks so good! But man, that strawberry bread pudding looks crazy awesome! I'm so sorry about your car and your foot. All of that just sucks, but yay for vegan quesadillas and dessert!!

Adriana Robles said...

I'd love me some of all that food! Before anything, I hope your foot heals up and you get your car back soon. Looking at these photos, I see exactly how much food can make things better.

You're so lucky that you got to see Snoop Dogg! At least if he played his stuff before he got into the "Snoop Lion" thing. I honestly don't like it. ;P hahah

Sending you some positive and healing vibes!~<3~<3~<3~

vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Dude. That's a SHITTY day! I'm SO sorry about your car. And probably even sorrier about your foot. That has to be unbelievably frustrating for you.

I just found out that there's a vegan restaurant about half an hour from here in Huntingdon. HUNTINGDON! Population 4,000 Huntingdon, TN. It's been there for a couple of years, but I just found out about it. Hoping to go there very soon!

calor said...

Just curious...Why gluten-free spaghetti if you're going to top it with gluten (seitan)?