Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Nutribody Protein Powder

My internet is back!! It's been out for about a week, and if you saw this morning's post, I included a note about my frustration with Comcast. And while I still have plenty of complaints about their customer service hotline, I was quite pleased with the little tech guy who came to my house today. He tried for two hours to get my internet to work last night with no luck. But he came back today, and now the modem is online. Horray!

Now that I'm back to regularly scheduled posting, I want to share another protein powder review. I've been doing a lot of these lately, mostly because vegan protein powder companies have been reaching out to me and offering samples. And since I drink protein smoothies after my runs a few days a week, I have plenty of opportunity to try the various brands. The latest brand I've tried is Nutribody Protein in Natural Vanilla.



It's a vegan bio-digestible powder made with brown rice and pea protein. It's free of the usual bad guys — antibiotics and GMOs. And if you're the type who worries about soy or gluten (not me!), it's also free of soy estrogens and gluten. Here's a shot of the inside. The container is a little big for how much is inside, but still yet, it contains a whopping 27 scoops. This stuff will last awhile.


Its makers also tout Nutribody as having high bio-availability. I didn't know what that meant, so I googled it. And Merriam-Webster defines it as "the degree and rate at which a substance (as a drug) is absorbed into a living system or is made available at the site of physiological activity." Supposedly, whey protein (which is NOT VEGAN) has a high bio-availability, and Nutribody makes that claim as well. Soy and plain rice proteins supposedly don't have as high of a bio-availability rate. 

Oh, and it has a whopping 25 grams of protein, about 10 more per serving than Vega One French Vanilla powder (my usual go-to vanilla powder) and equal to the protein in Vega Sport Performance Protein (what I use after longer runs).

My only complaint with the nutrition stuff is same complaint I have for most protein vegan powders — the lack of calcium. Vega One powder contains 50% of your RDA for calcium, and I like not having to worry so much about getting that from other places. But like most other vegan powders, Nutribody doesn't contain calcium.

That aside, it's easy to add calcium by mixing Nutribody with plant milk and plant yogurt, which is exactly what I did when I tried a scoop of it in this Mango Lassi Smoothie.


Frozen mango, almond milk, vanilla soy yogurt, cardamom, and a scoop of vanilla Nutribody Protein. It's a smoothie I make often with Vega, and I have to say, taste-wise, it's pretty equal when made with Nutribody. There's no chalky taste, and since it's sweetened with natural stevia, it adds a lovely sweetness to the smoothie.

But perhaps my favorite thing about this powder was the thickness of the smoothies it creates! Look at that mango chunk just sitting atop my smoothie! It didn't even try to sink. In fact, this was so thick and creamy that I could have eaten with a spoon. Love that!

5 comments:

TimboSlice said...

hey bianca, great post! i'm a big fan of pea protein and dairy alternatives. if you're interested i do reviews of pea proteins on my website http://www.peaproteinpowderhq.com

Sheridan said...

I'm really trying to get into the protein powder thing. I bought a gargantuan tub of Raw Meal Chocolate powder and it's so awful, but Drew and I keep drinking it so that we can buy something new! haha! I plan to be a little more selective this time around. Dana is all for the Arbonne powders, so I might splurge on one of those, but it's good to know that this one tastes good as well!

Trisha said...

Great Article Bianca! I actually found Nutribody protein a few years ago and am 100% addicted. I love your recipe idea, will have to give that one a try.

Michelle S. Prince said...

So happy, i am finding the recipe to mix with nutribiotic rice protein powder, the taste is so bad.

Unknown said...

I loved Optimum nutrition's whey protein supplement. I just loved the taste and I am seeing real results.