Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What I Ate

It's that time again when I dump my photos of the week on ya. None of these meals warranted an entire post. But all were delicious and awesome.

On days when I run, I have protein smoothies for breakfast to help speed muscle recovery. But on days when I cross-train or do yoga, I have nice, solid, sit-down meals. They always start with a fresh juice. My latest fave is the Mexican Afternoon Juice from Crazy Sexy Juices & Succulent Smoothies. It has carrot, celery, roma tomato, cilantro, and lemon.


And I've been following that with Breakfast Sandwiches! This one has tofu Veggs (slices of firm tofu coated Vegg vegan egg yolk and fried in a skillet), Upton's Seitan Bacon (because my Whole Foods FINALLY carries this!), Daiya Provolone, and Ezekiel sprouted grain bread.


On Saturday, our Food Awareness vegetarian meet-up group had lunch at Grawemeyer's downtown. It's a German-American restaurant with a few vegan and vegetarian options. They're letting us have our Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale event in front of their restaurant next month, so we chose this place for our March monthly meeting. I ordered the Hummus Plate — roasted red pepper hummus, carrots, celery, red pepper, banana pepper, roasted tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and toast.


And perhaps the greatest thing I've eaten all week was this amazing BBQ Veggie Pizza from Pyro's Fire Fresh Pizza. It's a local build-your-own pizza chain, and they have Daiya vegan cheese! And they have BBQ sauce as a base! I added roasted red peppers, caramelized onions, mushrooms, banana peppers, roasted garlic, and green onions. My parents came to visit on Sunday afternoon, and this is where we had lunch.


Of course, I had a local craft brew on the side — Memphis Made Lights Out, a dark Belgian wit beer.

Hey, don't forget to enter my Vegg Prize Pack giveaway!

6 comments:

Cadry said...

That breakfast sandwich looks right up my alley with the eggy tofu & seitan bacon. I was so happy when my local grocery stores started carrying Upton's bacon too (although there may have been some email campaigning for it on my part...). I haven't tried any of the Daiya slices yet. I'll have to check those out sometime.

Sarah said...

I want to eat your breakfast sandwich right now! It looks so good and now I'm definitely craving it :) I can eat hummus plates every day of my life... they are seriously the perfect meal. The pizza looks great too, lots of great things happening in this post!

KathyD said...

I would like to know how you like the Upton's bacon seitan. I cannot get it in my area yet.

Michael said...

How do you prepare the vegg for dipping and frying? I can't find my cook book!

Michael said...

I have't tried pan frying that bacon, only ate it cold so maybe I didn't get the full affect. I can't believe I never really tried tempeh bacon pan fried on a sandwich until recently! Omg better than any blt I ever had!!!

Bianca said...

KathyD, I love the Upton's bacon! It has a really smoky flavor.

Michael, I use 1 Tbsp. Vegg powder to one cup of water and whir it up in the blender.