Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Exotic Black Rice Tortillas

I've long been a fan of Food for Life's sprouted breads and cereals, gluten-free wraps and pastas, and even their vegan meats (if you can find Cluckphrey vegan chicken nuggets, they're delish!). So I was excited to try their new Exotic Black Rice Tortillas. They sent me a couple packages to try out.

These are similar in texture to their gluten-free Brown Rice Tortillas. If you're looking for a soft, fluffy, traditional flour tortilla, you might not like these. But if you dig the chewier texture of gluten-free tortillas, these black rice ones are for you. I actually prefer gluten-free tortillas and pastas over gluten-containing ones. I don't have a gluten sensitivity or anything. I just like the texture.

I will say, though, that these black rice wraps tear a little easier than their brown rice ones. Warming the tortillas a bit is absolutely crucial to prevent breakage. And even then the edges might break anyway. By the time you're mostly done eating your burrito or wrap, it's gonna get messy as the tortilla falls apart. But I guess that's the price you pay for a tasty, gluten-free tortilla made from antioxidant-rich black rice.

I used these to create a new recipe for my vintage vegan cookbook, which will feature veganized versions of popular foods from the past century. For the 1990s chapter, I just have to include a wrap recipe. Wraps were all the rage in the 90s! I made this Mexi-Wrap with Spicy Slaw.


I'm saving the complete recipe for my cookbook, but I can give you the basics. I seasoned black beans with chili powder and smoky flavors. I mashed and salted an avocado. And I made a spicy slaw with red cabbage, carrots, onions, and vegan mayo. Then I layered everything in the tortilla and rolled it up. I really loved this recipe! It's so simple, and they flavors meld so well together. Plus, anything with a mashed avocado is a winner in my book.

3 comments:

Barb@ThatWasVegan? said...

I haven't posted my review yet, but had pretty much the same thoughts. I gave up trying to make a wrap and just went with a sort of tostada recipe :)

Dana Vickerson said...

YUM! those look amazing

Unknown said...

Indeed it was delicious, We've been there before for our company trip personal chef in austin and it was amazing.

God Bless!