Thursday, March 6, 2014

Vegan Franks 'n' Beans!

Does anyone know the history of beanie weenies? Well, I guess I should technically ask if anyone knows the history of "franks 'n' beans" since Beanie Weenies are a brand name from Van Camps. I need to find out more about when they become popular and perhaps their origin. Wikipedia is extremely vague on the franks 'n' beans history. Here's what they have to say:
"Baked beans were among the first canned "convenience foods" to emerge in the United States, dating back to the civil war.[1] The exact originator of the concept of combining hot dogs and baked beans is unknown. Van Camp's owns the name Beanie Weenies. Other less popular canned Beanie Weenies are sold under alternative names such as Franks & Beans."
As most of you probably know, for my next cookbook project, I'm working on veganizing recipes for foods that were popular over the last century. For most dishes, I have a pretty good idea of their history and origin. The dishes don't necessarily need to have been invented in the past century, but I'd prefer to include dishes that were very popular in certain decades. From what I've been reading, I'm thinking franks 'n' beans were pretty big in the 1950s. But if anyone has any more info or memories of eating baked beans with weiners in it, let me know in the comments.

Even though I don't know much about their history yet, I went ahead and created a Franks 'n' Beans recipe for my book.


I made homemade barbecue beans on the stovetop using cannellini beans, ketchup, molasses, and other seasonings. And then I added some sliced vegan weiners. Simple as that. And mighty satisfying on a cold winter day with sauteed kale and leftover winter roasted veggies.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

One of my favourite, favourite foods! When I make them, I use smoked tofu to emulate that veggie dog flavor (it tastes similar) since I can't have veggie dogs (celiac). Oh, man, I am totally making them this weekend. Thanks Bianca!

Dana Vickerson said...

I'm so excited to hear the origin of all these foods! Can't wait for the cookbook! :)

Anonymous said...

This was still popular in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid. I can remember my mom making this.
--Krista

n_selah_d said...

So looking forward to this book! I actually JUST bought your first yesterday, I'd checked it out from the library and LOVED it but now I'll own it so excited!!

Lauren said...

Franks N Beans always makes me think of the office episode..hah. But this looks delicious and would be fun to make on a lazy day!