Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Bluff City Vegan Eats: Two Vegan Sistas

Quick announcement: In just a couple of days, Memphis will celebrate its second annual Plant-Based Food Fest!! Stop by Overton Park on Friday (9 a.m.-8 p.m.), Saturday (11 a.m.-8 p.m.), or Sunday (11 a.m.-8 p.m.) to see food demos, speakers, vendors, and all kinds of awesomeness! I'll be doing a food demo at noon on Saturday!

You know your city has arrived when there are numerous options for raw vegan meals. Memphis may have a reputation as a meaty, BBQ pork-infested Southern city, but we're also becoming quite the little vegan-friendly hub. In the past two years, five (count 'em, FIVE) vegan cafes and food delivery services have started offering raw meals. There's Balewa's Vegan Gourmet (a full-service raw cafe), Raw Girls Memphis (a raw food delivery service), Cosmic Coconut (a juice and smoothie bar with a few raw snacks), Loveshack (a juice and smoothie bar). And that's not even counting everyone's favorite Memphis un-raw, comfort food cafe Imagine Vegan Cafe.

And then there's Two Vegan Sistas, a raw food delivery service responsible for the world's best vegan chicken salad. Two Vegan Sistas offers salads, BBQ nutmeat, raw vegan sushi, flax crackers, and lots of amazing raw desserts (hello, raw vegan Oreos!!).

They also have a few cooked dishes, like quinoa stir-fry, spaghetti, couscous, and baked sweet potato fries.  

It's not a restaurant, so all food is either delivered or picked up from their kitchen on Madison Avenue. And you have to order one day in advance, so can't be a spur-of-the-moment thing. But since I plan my meals by the week, that's no problem for me.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a Groupon for Two Vegan Sistas, so I ordered $20 worth of food to try. Bretta of Two Vegan Sistas used to work with Balewa at his cafe, and I tried a few of her dishes before. This Mock Chicken Salad was always my favorite thing to order at Balewa's, so I knew I had to get a large order of this.


It's made with cashews, onions, and spices, and it really tastes like chicken salad. The large size order fills a whole takeout box, so it's enough for at least four meals if used as a spread. I spread mine on some slices of Ezekiel bread.

I also ordered the Raw Falafel Plate.


 This is another nut-based dish. The falafel spread is made with sunflower seeds, herbs, and spices. And rather than serving it in falafel-shaped balls, the spread is served on a wrap. And it comes with a tasty side salad.

With all those nut-based dishes, I figured I'd better order a salad for balance. I tried to order the corn salad, but they were all out. So I ordered the Complete Meal Salad instead.


This has spiralized zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, and nori. And it's served with a "honey" mustard style dressing. One thing to note: The salad comes all mixed together, so it's best to eat this right away. The tomato juice tends to soak into the lettuce, so it doesn't keep well. I'd planned to save this for the next day, but it was a bit soggy by day two.

I also REALLY wanted to try the Raw Oreo, but they were out of those too. So I "settled" for a delicious Live Fruit Pie.


Wow! Just wow. These two vegan sistas know how to make an amazing raw dessert. There's a nut-based crust topped with fresh strawberries and apples. There may have been oats on there too. But it was really yummy. I didn't even miss the Oreo.

To place an order, call 2 Vegan Sistas at 1-800-984-0379. Here's the menu. And remember, they are closed on Saturdays.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Wow! That food looks amazing! I wish I could try everything especially the Mock Chicken Salad. I'm intrigued by the ingredients.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I can't wait to try everything. I didn't know that there was a festival. I just bought my weekend pass. Will you be selling autographed books? Belinda

Bianca said...

Hey Belinda! So glad you're coming to the fest! And thanks for making awesome food at Two Vegan Sistas. And yep, I will be signing and selling books. :-)