Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nouveau BBQ

When I make vegan barbecue, I tend to stick with the Memphis-style "pulled pork" sandwich using tempeh, tofu, or seitan. And it's ALWAYS topped with creamy slaw. But I'm open to new ideas. That's why I had to try Happy Herbivore's BBQ Chop Wrap:

You might not see the barbecue connection, but the lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, and corn in this wrap are tossed with tangy 'cue sauce before wrappin'. Then it's all topped with Guiltless Gourmet Yellow Corn Chips and rolled into a Cedar's Mountain Bread whole wheat wrap. Here it is pre-rollin':

I used my own recipe for Memphis-style barbecue sauce (heavy on the vinegar with hints of smoky molasses and maple). That sauce will be included in my cookbook. I like my own recipe so much that I never buy bottled barbecue sauce anymore!

Though this wrap isn't topped with slaw, it'd be a sin not to have some on the side. So I made Happy Herbivore's Veggie Slaw:

It's so simple — shredded zucchini and carrots tossed with mayo and seasonings. Lindsay recommends using her low-fat homemade mayo recipe, but I cheated and used high-fat Earth Balance Mindful Mayo. Oops. That kinda goes against the Happy Herbivore way, which is focused on low-fat, low or no-oil recipes. But it was tasty.

How do you like your vegan BBQ?

9 comments:

Alessandra said...

I like tofu marinated with a variety of marinades, depending on the theme of the bbq. and lots of Italian grilled veggies (eggplants, zucchini, peppers...) with olive oil and salt, and maybe lemon juice and garlic too!

ciao
A.

T said...

Yum that looks AWESOME! And can't wait for your bbq sauce recipe, homemade sauce is always so much better.

Unknown said...

I think I would really like the crispiness of slaw on top of softness of the barbeque. I can't wait for your cookbook...

Jen said...

I like super thick, hot, spicy, and sweet bbq sauce. Tami's AVK sweet garlicky ribz really hit the spot. Labor intensive, but worth it.

14 days!!!

foodfeud said...

I'd be afraid those chips would rip up my mouth like that!
You know, barbecue is something that I relate so much with eating meat that I almost never have any barbecue flavored or cooked food. It's so far off my register.
When is your cookbook coming out? Maybe it'll change a few things around here (meaning my kitchen).

Anonymous said...

It looks yummy!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

You must have already converted hundreds of carnivores! Your food is so great and "normal". Like it's not raw sprouted chickpeas or swiss chard juice, which are good too, but don't think they do wonders on the "coversion level" :)

Bill said...

My mouth is seriously watering! Time to hit up whole foods!

vegan cleaning products

Scott said...

I like to slice, press, and freeze extra firm tofu, then smother it in BBQ sauce with diced onions to thaw in the fridge. Once its thawed, I bake it until it's well-done, and eat it on a bun with pickles and a side of coleslaw. Getting hungry now...