Sunday, August 21, 2011

Of Calendars and Cookbooks

On Saturday night, I whipped up a couple of recipes from a few of my favorite sources — Sarah Kramer's Go Vegan 2011 wall calendar and Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Vegan's Daily Companion.

Every month, I make the featured recipe in Sarah's calendar, and they're always delicious. August's recipe looked especially appealing as soon as I flipped the page to August 21 days ago. I'm a sucker for red lentils and Indian flavors, so naturally, I loved this Cauliflower Red Lentil Soup over Jasmine Rice:

There's cauliflower (my favorite veggie!), mushy-soft lentils, fresh tomatoes, and plenty of cumin and red pepper flakes. It was even better after I smothered it in sriracha.

I just bought Colleen's Vegan's Daily Companion about a week ago, and it's already my fave new book. Each day, the book has an affirmation — Mondays offer tips for using healthy foods; Tuesdays include techniques for speaking on behalf of veganism; Wednesdays are about health for the mind, body, and spirit; Thursdays are excerpts or summaries from literature and films about animals; Fridays are inspring stories of animal rescue; and Saturdays/Sundays are yummy recipes.

The first recipe in the book is for this Massaged Kale Salad:

I recently discovered that I love raw kale, so long its liberally massaged with oil. But this recipe uses avocado in place of oil, and it's just as delicious. There's also quinoa, carrots, onions, and heirloom cherry tomatoes from the Whitten Farms booth at the Memphis Farmers Market.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

It's my new favorite book too! I just started it this weekend. I couldn't help it and have read through almost the whole thing already. I'm sure I'll re-read it soon and read just one a day.

The Health Sensei said...

we have massaged kale salad almost weekly, so glad you like it! avocado plus kale = heaven

Anonymous said...

:)
It was cool getting to say hi the other day.

Mihl said...

I demand that you come and cook for me!

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

I love massaged kale with avocado, but haven't tried it with quinoa. What a great way to sneak in some grains!