Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Seitan 'n' Cabbage

When I led a Seitan 101 demo at my house a few weeks back, I made sample batch of Seitan Chicken (from my book). But I'd already prepared another batch for my audience to sample, so when they left, I had a whole new pot of seitan left. I froze it in two containers of two cups each, and this week, I thawed some out for Isa's Braised Cabbage & Seitan from Appetite for Reduction:

This simple entree is made from seitan, cabbage (duh), garlic, veggie broth, thyme, and red pepper flakes. It has a wee bit of oil since it's from Isa's low-fat cookbook. It's satisfying, and you can eat a ton for far less calories than most other entree choices. I served mine over red quinoa seasoned with vegan chicken broth powder.

I picked up some fresh broccoli at the Memphis Farmers Market last Saturday. Local broccoli is my all-time fave produce item to purchase at the market, but it's only around here for a few weeks in late spring. It's so much more tender than broccoli from the grocery store. I served my Steamed Broccoli with Leahey Gardens Vegan Cheese Sauce:

I've raved about Leahey Garden mac & cheese before, and this sauce is the same stuff from the mac box. But it's sold on its own as a powdered cheese sauce to cook with soymilk for topping veggies, nachos, or whatever. It was the perfect topping for my lovely broccoli trees! The package of sauce was another Easter gift from my parents. They ordered it from Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe.

What's your favorite produce item to purchase locally?

9 comments:

Jackie Smith said...

It depends on the season! Right now it's strawberries, but next it'll be cherries, peaches, apricots, figs, fuyu persimmons...

Alan Roettinger said...

My neck of the woods has a very short growing season, apparently--farmers' markets don't open until summer. But I did find some absolutely luscious, red-all-the-way-through strawberries the other day at my local natural food store that were mindblowingly delicious. I went back, got another pound, and roasted them to make a sauce for "Coconut Bliss" ice cream (mmmm!).

Babette said...

I love local asparagus, and right now we have fresh fiddleheads... those are good.

I've tried that cabbage and seitan recipe before, but I found it a bit boring to eat. I much preferred the other recipe that combines peas and cabbage.

I like that broccoli picture.

Erin said...

Trees and cheese! Looks great. Farmers market broccoli is so much better than most store bought - it's almost sweet, I think. One of my favorite things to buy locally is potatoes, there are all sorts of varieties I had never tried before, like fingerlings.

Espana said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities have inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now.

Amy Lynn said...

That cheese sauce looks good, I've never had it before.. Now I'm intrigued!

Millie said...

Bianca it all looks good and delicious.

janet @ the taste space said...

I just made the same cabbage recipe from AFR. Loved it! The broccoli looks like a great side. :)

Unknown said...

My Irish side thanks you. I find it very easy to buy local blueberries and so I make it a point to.