Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lady Who Lunches

Sometimes there's nothing more satisfying than a light and healthy lunch of a sandwich and salad. As much as I love fried food and sweets, I need some simple whole foods meals to balance everything out.

It's May, which means I had a new Sarah Kramer Go Vegan 2011 Wall Calendar recipe to makeBaby Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette:

Look at that hot pink dressing!! It's made with olive oil, flax oil, vinegar, and fresh strawberries — all blended up together. I still had some mixed salad greens with baby spinach that needed using, so I subbed that for the plain spinach. And those little brown things are pine nuts. The dressing is sweet and strawberry-ish with just the right amount of tang. Like spring in a bowl.

To go along with my salad, I made a Chickpea-Hijiki Salad Sandwich from Vegan with a Vengeance:

Now, I never, ever liked real tunafish. In fact, I only liked fried catfish when I was a kid, and I even started to hate that by my pre-teens. Something about the fishy taste just grossed me out. But I do love sea veggies! The hijiki in this dish actually makes it taste a little like tuna, but in a totally un-gross way. This is the most tuna-like fake tuna spread I've ever tried.

What's your favorite soup and salad combo?

9 comments:

Emma said...

I've been enjoying that salad this week too, it's delicious.

Mihl said...

I got some hijiki and didn't know what to use it for. Thank you for pointing me towards that salad!

The Health Sensei said...

the salad you made is literally mine and sabrina's favorite. strawberries, spinach, pine nuts, and some balsamic vinaigrette make me go bonkers :) add in a vegan BLT with either tempeh bacon or eggplant bacon, and some organic Vegenaise, and it's on!

Anonymous said...

You may want to read this article -- yikes!!

"Arsenic in seaweed - Forms, concentration and dietary exposure"

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0278691507000257

POPshop & Spazz Records said...

I love tomato soup and a grilled cheeze sammich!

Jen said...

you had me at hot pink dressing. hot damn, your posts look great! funny you posted about the mock tuna-- i just made some with tvp the other day. get outta my brain!

deborah said...

can't wait to get some hijiki and try it! my favorite sammich is a vegan rueben=)

foodfeud said...

I'm usually too full from the soup to deal with a sandwich but I'm not one to scoff at a classic tomato soup and grilled (vegan) cheese.
I'm totally getting strawberries to make this tomorrow.

Jacinta said...

Bianca, totally enjoying your blog. Love the photos. Any chance you could post a link to your cookbook list. Sounds like you have some pretty good ones you like. Looking for some good vegan books as I transition, would rather buy something recommended by someone in the know :)