Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Picnic

Traditionally, my family goes out for pizza on Mother's Day. But this year, we decided to shake tradition with a lovely spring picnic at Lake Frierson State Park in Arkansas. The lake is a quick 20-minute drive from my hometown, and it's about an hour away from Memphis.

I have the best Mama, Me-maw, and Granny in the whole world ever! My Mama is a cookbook-collecting, live music enthusiast (country and blues) with a penchant for Harley Davidson gear and anything shiny (she calls it her "bling"). Over the years, she's done sooooo much for me. She's giving, humble, and probably the most self-less person I know. Here's my mom and me at the lake today (ignore my windblown hair):

My Me-maw and Granny are equally awesome. Here they are — Me-maw (my mom's mom) is on the left and Granny (my dad's mom) is on the right.

Me-maw is a church-going, animal-loving, avid reader with a heart of gold. And she's fiercely determined and stubborn as can be. After a recent shoulder injury, the doctors told her she wouldn't be able to lift her arm again. But she wasn't having that at all. Today, both arms are fully functional.

Any regular Crunk readers probably already know all about my Granny. She's been hard at work using her amazing kitchen skills to veganize many of her cherished family recipes for cakes, pies, and savory casseroles for my future cookbook. Granny can do ANYTHING in the kitchen. Seriously. Today, she even took me foraging for wild poke salad around the lake! Expect a poke salad post really soon.

The rest of the fam grilled meat burgers and hot dogs, but my daddy threw me a Tofurkey Beer Brat and a Boca Vegan Burger on the grill:

I had my burger sans bun since I was eating so much, and I topped it with a little Daiya cheese. Also on my plate are my mom's awesome baked beans, Granny's fabulous vegan potato salad with her homemade pickles, chips and guacamole.

The whole picnic idea was a lot more fun than our old pizza tradition. I think it's a keeper!

13 comments:

amymylove said...

That is soooooo rad your family veganizes stuff for you! Awesome foodie spread! You look just like your mom <3

Mihl said...

You people know how to celebrate a decent Mother's Day!

Millie said...

Bianca you and your Mom look like sisters. You both look so good and Mom doesn't age. I hope you had a great day yesterday with your loved ones. I love the meal you had and your Grammy is just like mine, fiesty but strong at heart and determined to do it all no matter what.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

Aww aww aww! Such cute photos, especially the one of you and your mom :). I wanted to have a picnic on Mothers' Day too... but it rained here! Spoiled my plans... but at least I made a tropical brekkie to PRETEND it was nice out!

Anonymous said...

Hourrah for rockin' female role models. You sure look like your Mamma!
That picnic food has my mouth watering!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Having a picnic on Mother's Day is the best! Bianca, you are SO lucky to have so many amazing women in your life and they are so lucky to have you. This looks like a perfect day, and the food couldn't be better. That hot dog looks phenomenal!

jessy said...

oh man - what an awesome idea for mother's day! hooray for picnic fun times! i love the pictures of you, your momma, me-maw and granny! what a lovely bunch! :D

so awesome on foraging for wild poke. totally looking forward to the recipe, Bianca - and i'm drooling over your plate of pure deliciousness. mmmmmmm!

Marly said...

Looks like a fun day! I'm looking forward to cook-outs myself.

Sheridan said...

Love your family and the food looks delicious! Love it all!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Awesome! Your grandmothers are the cutest.

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

Looks like you had a really good time!

Jenna said...

Hi Bianca! I haven't commented in a while, but I sure have been reading your amazing blog! I am so in love with your family! Thank you for sharing the sweet pictures. Can't wait to hear more about the wild poke! :)

Carissa said...

I like your blog! That is so sweet that your family will do that for you at BBQ's :) I have gotten so used to bringing my own either tofu dog or veg burger now.