Friday, May 14, 2010

Memphis Meets Greece

If I had to choose a favorite bean, I'd definitely go with the plain ole' white bean or Great Northern Beans as they're officially called. Of course, navy beans and cannellini beans are pretty much interchangable. That's why I've always loved the classic Greek fasolada — a white bean soup made with veggies and fresh herbs.

Traditional fasolada contains tomatoes and any combo of carrots, onions, and/or celery. But I'm not traditional, and hey, this is fusion cuisine! I've combined the best of the classic Greek soup (white beans) with my favorite Southern veggie (fresh greens ... in this case, kale), red bell pepper, and dill for my Southern-Style Fasolada:

Some of y'all might think this warming soup may be a little too wintry for this time of year, but I think beans are appropriate no matter what the season. Besides, I developed this recipe a while back, and I've been needing to test it for the cookbook.

Rather than enjoy my fasolada with crusty bread as is traditional, I fried up a batch of my Hoe Cakes instead (also going in my cookbook):

These flapjack-style cornbread cakes are perfect for crumblin' into your beans. Or they're also damn tasty schmeared with Earth Balance and eaten alone.

15 comments:

Velovegan said...

Hello! I've been following your blog for a while now. You're amazing and your food looks so delicious! I just thought I'd comment and say what an inspiration you are! :) xxx

The Health Sensei said...

i want me some hoe cakes! :) I've been following your blog for a while as well...i'd love feedback on my blog anytime you're bored ;)

- Rick

Mihl said...

All these different names for white beans in English confuse me! I never know which is which. But bean soup is always good!

Those hoe cakes pare the prettiest pancakes I've ever seen, btw.

Vegan In The VI said...

Listen Dagnabbit! I've had it with this cookbook nonsense! Post the hoe cake recipe!

two vegan boys said...

Yum! It is so not soup season anymore, but I still love to make it. :)

Dianne said...

mmmm hoe cakes! Where do they get that name?!

The Voracious Vegan said...

You are SO creative! Honestly, Bianca, everything you put up here is cookbook worthy, I'm always just blown away.

I love the idea of adding some Southern flair to this soup, and hoe cakes on the side is just genius. And you are SO right, beans and soup is perfect any time of year!

Anonymous said...

Hoe cakes is the best name EVER!

Jessica said...

I love that you define fasolada but not hoecakes, and it looks like your commenters know what they are.

Leslie Richman said...

That looks like a yummy meal!!

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

The cornmeal pancakes look yummy!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I love soups and beans all year round too. It looks lovely and so do the hoe cakes!

Melanie @ I Dream of Tahini said...

Those both look AMAZING and yummy!

Erin said...

I want some hoe cakes! Pancake-style cornbread sounds like a dream.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I looooove hoe cakes!