Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mama Crunk!

Can you believe this woman is 56?!

It's true. Despite her youthful appearance, my mama turned the big five-six today. Just four more years and she'll be freakin' 60! Crazy. I have to tease her since she LOVES to point out that I'm almost 30. Thankfully, I have good aging genes.

To celebrate, my mom and dad drove down to Memphis from Arkansas so my mom could eat at her new favorite place — Fresh Slices Sidewalk Cafe. It's a cutesy little sandwich shop located a few blocks from my house. We walked there in the warm late evening sunlight, and chose a table positioned in the store's front window. I ordered this Portabella Mushroom Panini with a Baked Sweet Potato:

The panini — a juicy portabella cap and roasted red pepper — was supposed to be served on foccacia, but they were out (they always seem to be out of foccacia when I'm there!), so it came on rye instead. My parents ordered steak and sweet potato fries, but y'all don't want to see that.

My mom requested cookies instead of birthday cake. Since I also gave her a copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar for her birthday, I baked a batch of these Chocolate Fudgey Oatmeal Cookies from the book:

They're a little soft and tend to fall apart when you pick them up. But they taste good. If I make them again, I'll increase the flour a bit.

I put the cookies into a big ole cookie jar and made a little label:

She actually requested the book's City Girl Snickerdoodles, but my attempt to make them Monday night was a disaster. The recipe requires that you chill the dough for at least 30 minutes (but preferably overnight) before spooning out the dough. I went with the minimum of 30 minutes since I was pressed for time, and it just wasn't enough. The buttery dough melted into gooey little messes in the oven. Note to self (and anyone else who makes these): Don't skimp on chilling the dough.

Happy Birthday, Mama Crunk!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mama! I can't decide what looks better, her or the cookies! ;)

Nicci said...

Happy Bday to Mama Crunk, your cookies look great.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Lookin' good, Mama Crunk! The sandwich is lookin' hot too.

Millie said...

She is beautiful. And I know now where you get your cute looks. Happy Birthday Mama Crunk.

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

All about... (vegan) food said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Mama Crunk! She really looks younger and that's awesome ;)

Lauren said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Your mom is so pretty.

Sarah S. said...

Lovely mama, lovely daughter! Sounds like one tasty bday celebration..well, except for the steak of course :)

Tiana said...

Rockin mama! She's beautiful.

I had the same problem with the oatmeal cookies but at least they still taste good.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Happy Birthday, Mama! Ya'll have got the BEST GENES. That panini looks mighty fine, too.

jessy said...

happybirthdayface, Mama Crunk! i can't believe your mom is 56, Bianca - she looks fantastical! you've got some good aging genes indeed, Bianca! i'm really digg'n the chocolate fudgey oatmeal cookies - and hooray for a tasty birthday dinner with your family! thanks for the tip on the snickerdoodles, too. i probably wouldn't have chilled them for the entire recommended time either - good to know... :)

Lindsey said...

Your mom looks great! And those cookies do too - yum! My mom just turned 56 this year too :)

Leslie Richman said...

Looks like a great celebration!

Sheridan said...

Happy Birthday to Delores!!! Or should I say Mama Crunk?? Ha! Everything looks yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I am new to being vegan and I am just wondering when you go out how do you know what bread is vegan and what is not?

Bianca said...

Hey Kim! Most bread is vegan, so I just assume the bread on sandwiches I order out is vegan. I don't ask. I try not to make eating out too complicated for my server or the people I'm dining with. But that's a personal choice. I call myself a "don't ask, don't tell" vegan (to steal a name from a horrible military policy :-).