Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On Top of Spaghetti!

In Memphis (a.k.a. "barbecue capital of the world"), everything comes slathered in tangy barbecue sauce ... even spaghetti. Traditional BBQ Spaghetti is piled high with pulled pork and 'cue sauce fills in for marinara. My vegan BBQ Spaghetti is served with a mountain of tangy barbecue tofu:


I admit the picture does make it look like someone threw up on top of spaghetti. But just know that the tofu version of this dish looks ten times more attractive than its meaty counterpart. Pulled pork is not pretty.

Anyway, this is another recipe for my Southern vegan cookbook. I used the same barbecue tofu recipe that I use for my Barbecue Tofu Mushroom Sandwiches, which calls for crumbled tofu, minced mushrooms, and my special sauce (recipe's in the book...sorry). I did add minced green bell pepper to the spaghetti dish though because it seemed like a good thing to do.

I scarfed this down after my workout this evening, along with a iceberg lettuce salad slathered in Organicsville Non-Dairy Ranch (the best thing ever for vegan ranch lovers!). The only thing missing was the traditional red-and-white oilcloth that typically covers the tables in Memphis barbecue joints!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong to say I miss BBQ? I never really was that enthused about the meat but I always loved the sauces and the sides. What else can be slathered in BBQ sauce and taste great?

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Oh my!! Who could've thought to create a scrumptious Tangy BBQ tofu spaghetti dish?!! ONLY YOU!!

Like I said, you're so darn talented (ok ... I guess that's why you're publishing a cookbook)!!!

Thank you for creating this dish ... I have to embarrassingly admit that I really like BBQ sauce, not so much of meat but I love the sauce!! Can't wait till the birth of your cookbook *yay*

J said...

I seriously love how you veganize all these incredibly non-vegan Southern dishes, that is so cool.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Next: BBQ nachos, a la Neely's or Corky's. BBQ tofu and noochy sauce over tortilla chips? Why not!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! I love spaghetti with BBQ or chili on it. Being in TX you hear about that kind of stuff all the time. I miss the veggie versions and I can't wait for your cookbook. As for the book...It's evil, I tell you. I'm hooked. You should read the series. I really like them.

Erin said...

Yeah, it does look...not so appealing. But I bet it tastes great :)

Anonymous said...

You are too freaking funny "threw up on spaghetti"...
I think it looks dynomite!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I looove spaghetti with bbq sauce... umm, but I dunno how I feel about it now that I read your very "appetizing" description lol!

Green Eyes, Green Heart said...

Whoa dang... 'Nuff said. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bianca! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Brillante Weblog Award. I so enjoy visiting your site every day and I think you are an amazing cook! Thanks for all the great recipes you provide and for always leaving great comments on my site!

I have posted info about the award on my site. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

When is your cookbook coming out?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I ALWAYS love your Southern-inspired meals - the BBQ spaghetti looks great!

Ruby Red said...

BBQ spaghetti?! Sounds crazy, but looks good!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never heard of that before, but it looks tasty!

jessy said...

hot damn that looks awesome! i quite like the look of it, and i bet it tastes just as rock'n! spaghetti meets bbq = fantastical goodness! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! i can't wait for your cook book, Bianca!

i had no idea they made vegan ranch. oh sweet batman! i need to get me some!

w00t!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Bianca I think your photo looks delicious!! I never thought of BBQ tofu on spaghetti, but it sounds fab. I can't wait to see your special sauce recipe in the cookbook.

Anonymous said...

Sounds damn good!!

Jamie the Foodie said...

i, too, am from the south, grew up in alabama, but have never heard of bbq spaghetti! my husband loves pasta, i might just have to give this a try! i have a "puke"-looking recipe that i have been contemplating posting...but was hesitant because it isn't pretty! but hey, i might just do it now!