Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Unlike our stupid president, I actually mean "Mission Accomplished" when I say it. The local food project has ended ... um, a little ahead of schedule. I was going to eat local through Friday afternoon since I started last Friday. But when I came home from walking my dog, this was in my oven:


It's fried hominy, and I did not cook it. My wonderful neighbor Wes did. While I was out, he texted me to say he'd cooked me a dinner of hominy, corn, and white beans, and he placed the plate in the oven to stay warm. He has a key to my apartment, so he must have snuck in while Datsun (my dog) and I were out on our walk.

I LOVE Wes's hominy. I never liked hominy until I met him, but I guess it's because I'd never had it prepared right. So I wasn't about to turn down a free meal of one of my favorite foods! Even if that did mean ending my local eating project ahead of schedule. I just love Wes! He's the best neighbor ever! He pets sits and keeps my babies stocked in dog and cat treats! And he makes delicious food!

Along with the hominy were hearty white beans:


And sweet corn:


I also steamed some local broccoli to go along with the meal because I'm leaving for Nashville tomorrow to visit the Dutchman. I didn't want the broccoli to go bad over the weekend:


And well, since I'd already broken my local rules, I decided to go ahead and quell my chocolate lust with this Liz Lovely Mochadamia Mountain Cookie!


I only had a small bite because half the cookie is 10 grams of fat. But wow! I think this is my favorite cookie ever! It's so soft and chocolate-y with a hint of coffee flavor. I only found one small macadamia nut in the bite I took, but it was flavorful and crunchy...just like a macadamia nut should be.

18 comments:

Marisa L. S. said...

I've never had hominy but that whole meal looks wonderful! And what a nice neighbor you have!

Datsun is such a cute name for a dog! We had a Datsun station wagon when I was a kid too!

Anonymous said...

I feel so dumb, but what is hominy?

I wish I had such a nice neighbor! Ours has lived here since before my parents moved in in the 70s... and she's never made us ANYTHING, despite the fact that we invite her over all the time for Christmas and Easter dinners and whatnot... I guess some people are nicer than others, haha.

J said...

Ah, hominy! I love it!

What a kind neighbor, you can tell Wes he can come live next door to me and put yummy vegan food in my oven whenever he wants!

Have fun visiting the Dutchman!

Sheridan said...

I LUV hominy. Always have and I haven't had it in awhile...

Have fun with Paul...I mean, ahem, The Dutchman. Ha.

I'm moving tomorrow!!! But, I'll be back next week. We'll see if we can get together again before next Saturday.

Ruby Red said...

Yummy, that cookie looks so tempting! I've wanted to try that flavor for the longest time. Tell Wes that his meal looks great! White beans are my favorite. And you did manage to squeeze local broccoli into your meal, so that counts for something as far as your "mission" goes!

Me said...

I've only seen hominy in a can, this looks much better. What an amazing neighbor!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hey, you did GREAT with your locavore challenge - kudos!!

Between the hominy, broccoli, and the cookie, I'm quite hungry now, haha :0)

Anonymous said...

I love hominy! That looks delicious, how did he cook it? And I wish my neighbors were awesome and snuck in and left me vegan food, instead of being cranky old ladies.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - I just went through and looked at all your awesome local food! I want every meal you've posted!

I have never had hominy, but it looks delicious. I would sure take a heaping helping of that!

jessy said...

i think that i should move to your neighborhood! i have never had hominy - i think i need to change that!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

I've never heard of hominy... what is it exactly.. what does it taste like?
thank god for neighbors!!! especially the good ones (your lucky yours can cook!)

Alicia said...

At first I freaked out a little when I read about your neighbour coming in when you weren't there...hehe... but hey! it's because I almost don't know my neighbours! He was super nice!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

What a great meal. Your sweet corn looks delish. Have a fun trip!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hominy-- another food I don't think I've tried! Gosh, I didn't know it was possible to be a virgin in so many areas!

I'm so glad you're turned back on to oatmeal. You've GOT to try oat bran, now. It's even better!

Vegan_Noodle said...

You had me at fried.....

Theresa said...

Wow, neighbours who cook delicious vegan food? You are so lucky!!

Erin said...

Wes is apparently the best neighbor EVER. That meal looks wonderful. And I'm impressed with your restraint in that cookie's presence.

Veggie said...

Wow, impressive. What a nice neighbour you have. It all looks so delicious, I wish I could try it.