Sunday, May 25, 2008

Eat Fresh

I think it's funny that Subway's motto is "Eat Fresh." I mean, granted, Subway's options are way fresher than, say, McDonald's. But seriously, who knows where their produce comes from? Who know how many chemicals are sprayed all over that stuff? Ick. Then again, I'm not going to stop eating at Subway, so...but for this week of local eating, I'm experiencing food at its freshest. Take my breakfast this morning, for example:


It doesn't get much fresher than organic, local strawberries served over Farm Soy soygurt (produced on The Farm, which is 3 hours from Memphis). Though the soybeans used for the yogurt come from Missouri, that's still pretty darn close (it is outside my 300 mile limit, but I figured I could make an exception for soy products ... a girl's gotta have her protein, you know).

Speaking of local breakfasts, I started my local food week with fried grit sticks using Delta Grind grits (produced and grown in Oxford, Mississippi):


Also on Friday, I made a Sweet Potato Saute with Squash and Fresh Basil and served with Riceland brown rice (also one my stretch items ... but it's grown within a small region in the South including Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi). I tossed toasted pecans from my Uncle Dale's pecan farm into the rice:


After hitting the market on Saturday morning, I threw together this delicious Strawberry Arugala and Baby Spring Salad with Toasted Pecans and Radishes:


And last night, I baked some Farm Soy tofu and tossed it with Swiss Chard:


In case you're wondering, I am allowing for spices, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar to allow for salad dressings, cooking oil, and seasoning.

18 comments:

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

I AM A STRAWBERRY FREAK! Theres nothing like biting into a fresh strawberry... i actually had dried ones for the first time ever yesterday.... it tasted like candy!
I think your right about eating locally and FRESH
So many times, even when we do buy organic, we have no idea what sorts of chemicals and other grossness that our veges have come in contact with!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That salad and that tofu both look fantastic.

Alicia said...

Wow! you're doing great as a locavore! Everything looks great and fresh. Oh, and about the paella, they're broad green beans, I've corrected it in the post, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Look at all these beautiful options you have!! You are a lucky lady. =) Mmm... strawberries!!

On the subject of Subway... their slogan "eat fresh" should go under review, I had a sandwich the other day from Subway (after over a year!) and I was surprised at how ridiculously UN-fresh the veggies were. YUCK. We vegans are spoiled with all our fresh veggies!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

How inspiring! I love the sweet potato dish and gorgeous strawberries with greens. And fried grit sticks? Sounds great.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh, I know - and the new slogan that Wendy's is advertising on television is "It's waaaay better than fast food!" How ironic!! Thank goodness for REAL fresh, local food!! Love all the gorgeous locavore eats you're enjoying :0)

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Yum! There is NOTHING like fresh, local fruits, nuts, and veggies! Your uncle owns a pecan farm? How cool!

J said...

I had to chuckle to find out that the soybeans in your yogurt come from Missouri, that's pretty much all we can grow besides cows and corn large scale.

Looks like you are doing well in your local challenge so far.

I think it's alright to allow for spices and cooking oils as those keep a long time and ship well.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The local eating is lookin' GREAT so far! Good job on your excellent choices. I want those fried grits - yum.

I transported the cake in two sections. The bottom two tiers (stacked) went in the back of the car, and the top two (also stacked) went in my lap while The Brit drove. I assembled the two parts on location.

No one (and I mean NO ONE) carries my cakes but me. One of the women there tried to 'help' by carrying the groom's cake, and I had to very politely ask her not to pick it up. Not even The Brit is allowed to carry my cakes!

MeloMeals said...

Everything looks awesome!... How luck are you that the FARM is so close! I just found a great farm that I can pick produce from... which thrills me to death!

Avery Yale Kamila said...

That's so awesome that you're doing a local challenge! All your pictures look absolutely delicious. I want some of those strawberries and grits.

And having a pecan farm in the family is truly amazing!!! You're so blessed. I would love to find a locally grown nut source here in Maine.

Anonymous said...

mmm! what a colorful and delicious post!

Marisa L. S. said...

Everthing looks soo good!

jessy said...

fried grit sticks?!!!!!!!! GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I'm amazed that all of this is local!! You are eating such gorgeous food! Bravo :-)

Sheridan said...

Oh man! This all looks so good!!! Good job Bianca!

Erin said...

Fried? Grit? Sticks? Want want want.

Veggie said...

I love strawberries in spinach salad. Soy yogurt from The Farm that's so cool, i'd love to try that.