Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fiesta In the Morning

All week, I've been starting my days with savory, spicy Tofu "Sausage" Breakfast Burritos:


I love salty treats for breakfast (though sweets are okay sometimes too). But mostly, I'm a savory kind of gal in the a.m. hours. When I was a kid, my mom let me eat Ramen noodles for breakfast everyday. Probably not the most nutritious choice, but that's what I wanted.

These days, I save Ramen for special occasions, like when I need food to solve an emotional crisis. It's the ultimate comfort food for me, even better than soy ice cream. But Ramen noodles tend to be fried and pretty fatty. But I digress. This is supposed to be a post about my Tofu Sausage burrito.

For the burrito, I made a tofu scramble seasoned with garlic powder, turmeric, dried basil, celery salt, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce. I thawed out a couple the Julie Hasson sausage links I made a few weeks ago (for the recipe and pretty picture, click here), and diced them into small pieces. Then I added them to the tofu scramble.


I topped the mixture with Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar and spicy garlic-cilantro salsa and then wrapped it all up in a Garden Spinach burrito shell. Perfect way to start the day! Too bad I'm all out of burrito fixins' for tomorrow's breakfast.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That burrito looks tasty! I am a big fan of the savory breakfast.

Alicia said...

It looks and sounds great! but I would have it for dinner and not breakfast, I can only eat sweet things for breakfast!

Marisa L. S. said...

Looks wonderful! Funny, I never liked eggs so I was skeptical for a long time of trying scrambled tofu. But I was glad when I finally tried it. Scrambled tofu is amazing!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Can't go wrong with savory, spicy meals to start one's day off right - yum!

urban vegan said...

I love breakfast burritos...muy bueno. I only ever seem to get them in Mexico, though I could easily make them....Lazy!

Erin said...

I love a good tofu scramble breakfast burrito, yummy.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I used to eat Amy's tofu scramble pockets EVERY single morning for about a year-- I loved 'em (but then I got sick of them, after eating so many). But your homemade version looks even better!

Anonymous said...

Yum! What a good idea! I quite enjoy savory things for breakfast as well, although I've never been known to turn down the sweets, either...

Sheridan said...

These were Fan-fucking-tastic! Best breakfast I've had in awhile!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Give me spicy, salty flavors over sweet any day! This burrito sounds delicious. I like soyrizo in my scramble sometimes instead of sausage. Yum!

Anonymous said...

You have been tagged on my blog! =)

Vegan_Noodle said...

That definitely looks like the right way to start a day!!

Marisa L. S. said...

I made those sausages last night! Don't ask me why I decided to get started on them at 9pm on a weeknight! They were so easy to do but took some time getting all the spices together.

I got tagged twice for that survey! I'll get to it later on! Thanks!