Monday, February 18, 2008

Some Like It Hot

Tonight, I prepared the Hot Glazed Tempeh from the Veganomicon.



The tempeh soaks in a marinade of wine, hot sauce, soy sauce, oil, and cumin. I didn't have any wine handy, so I substituted cooking sherry. Since that's a little salty compared to regular wine, the dish was a little saltier than I expected...but I like salt, so it was okay.

I also used three different types of hot sauce — Cholula (a mild hot sauce), D.L. Jardine's Texas Champagne (sorta hot cayenne sauce), and D.L. Jardine's Blazin' Saddle (super-duper hot habanero sauce). The recipe also called for cayenne pepper, but I left that out because I figured the habanero would be spicy enough. And I was right. The dish had just the right amount of heat.

Speaking of heat, the Nomicon recommends using a cast-iron stovetop grill to cook these. But I don't have one, so I chose the broiling method instead. And it worked well. But man, that oven is soooo hot when you broil things. I had to turn my air conditioner on!

On the side is Roads End Organic Alfredo pasta. It's the kind with whole wheat pasta! Very yummy! Quick and convenient.

5 comments:

Dianna Dalton said...

Dude, I was just reading that recipe last night when planning and prepping meals for the week!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

That's one of my dad's favorite movies. Next time he suggests watching it, I think I'LL suggest we have some spicy tempeh to go with it ;o).

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I totally dig that tempeh!
Here's a link to where you can get the Elvis toppers: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5150031

Anonymous said...

that is like the best picture of tempeh I have seen in a looong time

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Hey, I made this, too!