Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Have a Heart for Animals!

Tonight, I made the Japanese Soba Noodles with Steamed Veggies and Tofu from "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch."



It's a super easy, low-fat week night recipe. The yellow-ish stuff is steamed eggplant (it probably would have been prettier with the skin left on, but I hate eggplant skin!). I love how buckwheat soba noodles turn purple when you cook them. They're so pretty, and besides eggplant, blue potatoes, and grapes, there really aren't enough naturally purple foods out there.

Other ingredients in this dish include cubed tofu, matchstick carrots, green onion, and toasted sesame seeds. The mixture is tossed with mirin, minced ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. It's the kind of dish that makes you feel all healthy inside.

On a completely different note, here's a sign I made for an upcoming animal rights demo. Our local group, Food Awareness, will be standing at the corner of Poplar and Highland in Memphis on Valentine's night from 5:30-6:30 p.m. with signs like this one!



Speaking of Valentine's Day, I convinced my carnivorous boyfriend to give up meat for a day as a Valentine's gift! Yea! (I know, I know...it's only a day, but it took me 3 years to convince him to start buying cage-free eggs...baby steps).

2 comments:

Dianna Dalton said...

The sign looks so cute! Did you cut the letters by hand?

Bianca said...

Yep! Like a Valentine!