Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love Muffins!

I had Whole Wheat Berry Love Muffins for breakfast!



I used a recipe sent on the Farm Animal Reform Movement's "Meatless Monday" e-mails. It was recipe for the week of Valentine's Day, so the muffins in their picture were shaped like hearts. And they only had strawberries. I believe the original recipe came from "My Sweet Vegan," by Hannah Kaminsky. I figure it's okay to re-post since it was sent out in a mass e-mail by FARM (see recipe below).

The recipe called for one cup of frozen strawberries, and I only had a half-cup of frozen berries left. They were strawberries I'd hand-picked last spring on the Lansing's organic farm in Millington. I picked soooo many last year that I wound up freezing several bags and making five or six jars of strawberry jam. It's a good thing berry season is approaching because I'm on my last jar of jam, and I used the remainder of the frozen berries for this recipe.

I substituted a half-cup of frozen blueberries for the rest. So my muffins were more like patriotic red and blue muffins, rather than cute, red-specked Valentine's ones. But that's okay. Valentine's Day is over, and they were very tasty.

Here's the recipe (note: I changed the flour to whole wheat instead of all-purpose).


Whole Wheat Berry Love Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup soymilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup frozen berries, thawed and sliced

Preheat oven to 375, and grease 12 muffin pans.

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in soymilk, oil, and vanilla. Be careful not to overmix.

Fold in berries. Pour batter into muffin tins, 3/4 of the way to the top.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.

2 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I love Wasa crackers :o). Haha I even eat them plain!
Your muffins look much tastier, though.

Oh, and here's a funny irony: guess what movie is on tv tonight... Some Like it Hot!

Anonymous said...

Yep that recipe is from Hannah's new book My Sweet Vegan. You can check it out at http://www.mysweetvegan.com

Everyone should have a copy, it is one of those essential vegan books.