Monday, April 24, 2023

St. Louis Camping Trip, Days 5-6

Okay, so I promised a wrap-up post of our St. Louis camping trip on Thursday, and I failed to deliver. But here I am with a belated recap. Life has just been so busy lately, as tends to happen in the spring. 

Paul and I camped in Eureka, Missouri, right outside of St. Louis, for his birthday. And we did all the tourist-y things, including City Museum, a Cardinals game, and the Gateway Arch. So by day five, Saturday, we didn't have much planned. We'd considered going to Six Flags, because we were camped less than a mile away. But a storm moved through early in the day and more rain was predicted for the afternoon, so that plan went out the window.

We couldn't really hang around the campsite while it rained because we have a small pull-behind camper that only has room for a bed inside. So we decided to have an inside day and hit up a brewery and vegan restaurant. We drove to Maryland Heights, Missouri — just northwest of St. Louis — to check out O'Fallen Brewing. I've been a longtime fan of their beers, so I wanted to see where my favorite smoked porter was made.

We enjoyed a couple beers there, and I got some to take back home with us. And then we headed to Bombay Food Junkies, a vegan restaurant in Creve Coeur, Missouri, that I'd been dreaming about ever since I did my St. Louis Happy Cow research.

This place is a vegan Indian fusion restaurant, and y'all know I love Indian food. Like more than anything else! And to be able to eat everything on their huge menu was so thrilling. I stood in the front of their massive menu trying to decide forever. I finally settled on Kachori Chaat (fried lentil puff topped with chickpeas, onions, sev, vegan yogurt, and other little treats). I love, love, love chaat, and I was excited to be able to order chaat with yogurt.

And a Naan Pizza with vegan mozz, veggies, and Indian spices. This was a fun fusion menu item that I knew would heat up well at the campsite if I had any leftover (and I did). Also, it's pizza with corn! Genius!

Paul doesn't really like Indian food (and he'd eaten at the brewery), but he ordered a Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake. And though he liked it, he didn't finish it because he was full. So guess who got to eat most of those tasty cake? Me! It was soooo good. They also had a menu of milkshakes, and I'm definitely going back to visit there and ordering a shake.

While we were at dinner, we started getting tornado watch alerts on our phones. And on the 30-minute drive back to the campsite, those watches became warnings. And the sky was looking ominous. And then it started hailing, so we pulled off the interstate and into a Wally's truck stop to wait out the storm with a bunch of other people.

We finally made it safely back to the campsite and watched a movie in the camper while the rain continued all night.

On Sunday, we headed back to Memphis. But just as we were leaving town, we passed a White Castle. And Memphis doesn't have White Castle, so we had to stop! Paul had never been, and I love their Impossible Sliders.



A perfect ending to a super-fun vacation!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That restaurant sounds amazing (and I like how excited you look in the photo.) I also love Indian food. I like your "roll with the punches" attitude towards the weather. Overall it sounds like a really fun trip!