Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Butternut Squash Hummus

On Sunday afternoon, I was invited to a co-worker's holiday party. And while guests weren't expected to bring something, I just can't show up to a party empty-handed! But I was pressed for time with only an hour to whip something up between brunch and the party.

I had half a roasted butternut squash in the fridge (leftover from the night before), so I knew I wanted to do something easy with that. The first thing that came to mind? Hummus! I mean, I am a vegan after all. We have hummus in our veins.


I've never made butternut squash hummus, but I'd tried a pumpkin hummus once, and I remembered it having the most amazing, creamy texture. So I figured this would be similar. And I was right! The butternut added a slight sweetness and made for a velvety smooth hummus.

I wanted to share my quick recipe before Thanksgiving, in case you're looking for an easy un-turkey day app.

Butternut Squash Hummus

1/2 butternut squash (about 1.5-2 pounds)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 can Great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
2 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Juice from half a lemon
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Make sure your squash has been seeded. No need to peel! Brush the teaspoon of oil over the inside cut part of the squash. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes or until fork-tender. 

When the squash is done, allow to cool (you can always do this step the night before and chill in the fridge). Then scrape the roasted squash away from the skin, and place into food processor. Discard the skin. 

Add beans, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Garnish with smoked paprika and toasted pumpkin seeds (if you got em).

3 comments:

Hillary said...

This sounds delicious. And hummus is definitely a great app for a mixed crowd. I feel like hummus is a hit with vegans and non vegans.

Unknown said...

I’m the same and can’t come to a party empty handed! Although partly because omni hosted parties are hit or miss on food options... this sounds like such a great way to use butternut! And easy is always a pro for me :)
Ttrockwood

Susan said...

I always want to bring something to a party. This sounds lovely.