Monday, June 24, 2019

Nepalese Food, Cobbler & Bagels!

Global Café, an international food hall in Crosstown Concourse (the building where I work), hosts three chefs from different countries, and one of those chefs — Chef Indra of Nepal — just moved to a new state with her family. There's a new chef now (Chef Pancho of Venezuela), and I'll be checking out his vegan offerings later this week! But I had to get one last bite of Chef Indra's Nepalese specialties before she left!

I had her Vegetable Chow Mein the week before she left. It was my very favorite dish at Global Café, and I am so sad to see it go! These noodles were seasoned so well and topped with raw onion, fresh jalapeno, and lime.


We had our May Vegan Drinks meet-up there as well, and I got Indra's Mo Mo Dumplings (that red sauce is super garlicky and amazing) and her Vegetable Samosas (the best I've ever had).


I'll check in with another post about Chef Pancho soon! He has lots of vegan options! Other Global Café chefs are from Syria and Sudan, and they have vegan offerings too.

My family and I celebrated Father's Day a weekend early since I was at Bonnaroo on actual Father's Day. Daddy LOVES Genghis Grill (which he calls Chaka Kann — inside joke!), so they drove to Memphis to eat there. I got my usual build-your-own Tofu Stir-fry Bowl with Brown Rice. 


On that trip, my mom brought me a portion of her Strawberry Cobbler, which she made with some frozen strawberries that she found in my granny's deep freezer. This was so amazing, especially topped with Reddi Whip almond topping.


Here's a random bowl of Savory Oats with cooked zucchini, spinach, nooch, toasted walnuts, and pepita salsa.


And here's a Dave's Everything Bagel from Otherlands. When I have freelance writing work to do, I like to take my computer up to this coffee shop and enjoy a bagel with vegan cream cheese and an almond milk latte. Gets the creative juices flowing!

7 comments:

janna said...

Is your granny doing OK? It concerned me that your mom was finding things in her freezer. You have shared so much about how much you love her

janna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
janna said...

Is your granny doing OK? It concerned me that your mom was finding things in her freezer. You have shared so much about how much you love her

Hillary said...

The chow mein looks so amazing, and those dumplings!!!!
I still haven't tried savory oats. I have an irrational fear of savory oats! Ha!

Bianca said...

Hey Janna! Thanks for asking! She is doing okay, dealing with some dementia though. But Granny has always been a bit of a food hoarder (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because I am too!), and my mom found some berries Granny had picked fresh and put up. They've just been trying to help her keep her place clean!

Sarah said...

Oooh it all looks so good, how great to have such a wide variety of international fare. I can't wait to see what Chef Pancho cooks up. The strawberry cobbler looks incredible, I'd love to have some of that in my life.

PaganAngel said...

Can you share some recipes (or links) for your savory oats recipes? I live them, but only have a couple go-tos.