Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Stuff I Ate

It's been a long time since I've shared a post of random meals, and I've got lots of photos in the back log. I'll share a few tonight and more throughout the week.

Here's a meal I ate just after Christmas. I had some leftover Crispy Tofu from Mulan, which I'd ordered on Christmas night. It's a cornstarch-coated, deep-fried salt and pepper tofu dish with minimal veggies, so I upped the veggie game and mixed it with sauteed broccoli, squash, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Served over brown rice instead of the white rice it came with. I always try to healthify leftover Chinese takeout on day two.


A couple days after Christmas, my friend Susan and I took a trip out to IKEA. It's not that far from Midtown, but it always feels like an adventure driving out east for a big IKEA day. It takes hours to work your way through the store, so we needed fuel. We grabbed the new IKEA Veggie Dogs at the concession booth in the front of the store. Y'all, these are 75 cents! The dog is made from veggies and tastes similar to the famous veggie balls. They're topped with pickled cabbage and fried onions!


Mid-way through the store, we stopped in the cafe for IKEA Veggie Balls! Served with quinoa and steamed veggies. So good. We also bought bags of frozen balls to take home. 


I picked up this Munsbit Oat Smoothie in the IKEA food store. It had apple, pear, and ginger and was perfect for a post-run snack last week.


Here's a bowl of Tofu Ramen I enjoyed for breakfast one morning over the holiday break.


And finally, this is the Green Salad at the cafe at Crosstown Arts. It may look like an ordinary salad, but this is thing of beauty. The homemade dressing that lightly coats the mixed greens, radish, green apple, and toasted pepitas is indescribably good. It's a big side salad, so I love to order this when I bring a small lunch to work that warrants a side dish.


8 comments:

Hillary said...

I am so behind the times, I haven't tried the IKEA balls! That's so cool that they also have a veggie og, and wow, under one dollar, amazing!!!
That salad really is beautiful!!

Amy said...

Didn't know Ikea was embracing vegans!
I enjoyed this post!

Sarah said...

Oooh yum! I knew that Ikea had the veggie balls but no idea about the veggie dog! How awesome and what a great price! The Chinese leftovers look awesome and your ramen, yum!!

Jennifer said...

I've only ever been to 1 IKEA and only once! I wish I lived closer to more of them!

LJ Conrad said...

OMG my mouth is watering! (apart from noodles for breakfast, which is just weird...)

Jonathan Remsa said...

I know what you mean with IKEA! I need to make the trip just to get those awesome veggie dogs lol

Unknown said...

Ikea has vegan hot dogs?!?? I wish i was closer to one, their veggie meatballs are soooo good and i always find fun stuff in the food section like mustards and elderflower jam.
I totally give leftovers a makeover too- feels like a new meal all together!
Ttrockwood

Susan said...

I can't wait for our Ikea here to get the hot dogs, it is always a bit behind the times.
It is less than 20 minutes for me to get to Ikea, but it does always seem like an 'event' when I go! Lots of planning involved. I don't normally do the whole thing though, I skip the displays and go straight for the market hall.