Thursday, August 25, 2016

Tofu Nuggets!

When I travel, I'm always sure to fit in a stop at any natural foods markets I can find — indie health food shops, small natural store chains, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's. Call it grocery store tourism. I'd rather be eating and grocery shopping than checking out museums or historical sites. 

On my last trip to Little Rock, I picked up quite a few awesome vegan items that I can't buy at home in Memphis. I already blogged about the Miyoko's Creamery Vegan FreshMozz that I picked up at LR's Natural Grocers on that trip. Well, I also bought some Hodu Soy Thai Curry Tofu Nuggets there! I used them last week to make this amazing bowl! Brown rice, Thai tofu curry nuggets, steamed kale and local squash, tahini, and sriracha.


These nuggets were little pillowy, chewy fried tofus, and I'd say it's some of the best tofu I've ever had outside of a Vietnamese restaurant (Vietnamese joints always do tofu right!). I opened the package and ate one right away, and even cold from the fridge, they were just perfect. I could have eaten the whole package cold (it was only two servings), but I knew they'd be even better prepared. 


Hodo Soy makes other flavors and other styles of prepared tofu, so I'll have to try more variety next time I'm in Little Rock! These Thai ones would be hard to beat though. Great curry flavor, just the right level of saltiness, perfect chewy texture. 

6 comments:

Cadry said...

I love, love, love their yuba. Now I'm kicking myself, because I was just in Omaha and that's the closest place I can get it. 4 hours away! I've never tried their tofu nuggets, but I'm sure they're great.

House Vegan said...

I'm starving right now (always), and tofu nuggets sound so good! Where's the cry face emoji when you need it?

Hillary said...

I just saw those nuggets at Natural Grocers. They have five spice nuggets too. I also saw the yuba that Cadry mentioned. I know what my splurge item will be the next time I go!!

KathyD said...

I like to check out grocery stores when I travel, too. It can be a lot of fun to see items that I can't find at home.

Jennifer said...

I love the idea of "local packaged foods." I take a lot of pride that there is a local tofu factory near where I live, sadly not many places carry them! I have to go to an Asian food market to get the "local tofu" XD These look amazing and super yummy!

Amber said...

I LOVE HODO NUGGETS. I am also very fortunate that for me they are "local"!