Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Stuff I Ate

Hey, here's some stuff I ate!

We had our monthly Memphis Vegan Drinks meetup last week at LYFE Kitchen downtown. I got a glass of happy hour wine and some Vietnamese Lettuce Wraps! I love these 'cause they're stuffed with wheatberries (my fave!) and Gardein beefless tips. Also, on their wall menu, it doesn't list ingredients, and I think non-vegans order them all the time thinking they're made with real beef. Ha! Tricked ya! And you liked it.


I also got an order of LYFE's Corn Chowder. It's made with cashew cream, so it's totally vegan. Even though it's HOT outside, LYFE Kitchen's downtown location is frigid inside. I don't do well with air conditioning (I'm always cold!), so this soup helped warm me up.


I ate at LYFE again tonight! But this time, it was the East Memphis location. I had a Lululemon St. Jude Marathon Heroes Team meeting at Lululemon's Regalia store, and it's right across from LYFE. So I grabbed a Veggie Burger with Daiya and the Kale & Cranberry Salad. I'm a little bummed that they've apparently switched the burger bun out for a sandwich thin. I love sandwich thins, but when I eat out, I want more bread! Also, there was no kale in my kale salad. It was romaine and some baby greens. Weird. It was more of a green salad with cranberries and onions. Good. But not a kale salad. 


I went to Imagine Vegan Cafe for brunch on Sunday as usual. Got the Breakfast Burrito with a side of Garlic Kale. Inside the burrito is a ton of tofu scram, vegan cheese, and sausage. Side of guac and salsa. Solid.


At home, I've been eating one of my long-time fave breakfasts that I haven't made in forever — Bernard's Brown Rice Breakfast from The Garden of Vegan. Remember that book? It's by Tonya Bernard and Sarah Kramer. Blast from the vegan past! It was actually my FIRST vegan cookbook. This simple and filling breakfast is made with crumbled tofu, brown rice, and toast. You spray the tofu/rice mixture with Bragg's and drizzle with flax oil and ketchup. SO GOOD.


Have y'all had these yet? Omg, they taste like chocolate Swedish Fish. Weird. But good. Don't worry — I didn't let Maynard have one. 


I really ought to change the name of this Stuff I Ate series to "Stuff I Did with FitQuick Protein Waffles." This week, I've been enjoying post-run Java Chip FitQuick Waffle Sandwiches with Maple PB, Almond Cocoa Spread, & Banana.


Last week, I made this amazing Birthday Cake FitQuick Waffle with CocoWhip and Fresh Peaches. My mama gave me the peaches from an order she had shipped from Georgia, and these were seriously the best peaches I've ever had in my life. They don't call them Georgia peaches for nothing. Oh, I also drizzled this liberally with maple syrup.


On Saturday, I ran 12 miles downtown, and then I immediately hit up the Memphis Farmers Market. I was hungry! And thirsty! I run with water, but that wasn't cutting it. So I grabbed this Blueberry Matcha Smoothie from the So Fresh juice truck. It had banana, bloobs, red grapes, and matcha green tea. Just what I needed.


So Fresh has the option of adding vegan protein to smoothies, but I already had a good post-run protein treat planned at home. After my run and smoothie, I had this Lenny & Larry's Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie. I've been looking for these forever, and I finally found them at my neighborhood Kroger. They're so soft and delicious and protein-packed (16 grams)! By the way, not all Lenny & Larry's products are vegan, but this cookie is.


That's it for now! I'll go eat some more stuff and get ready for next time. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything looks so good, especially that waffle sandwich!!

Hillary said...

I totally agree with you about the burger being served on a sandwich thin. I like a real bun at a restaurant. Those lettuce wraps look delicious! And yay for non vegans accidentally ordering vegan food!!
I had heard about the Swedish fish oreos, but I kinda thought it was a joke!! What will the think of next??

Sarah said...

What an amazing round up of your meals! You always eat the best stuff! The breakfast burrito, waffle sandwich and smoothie look especially delicious! I have seen the Swedish Fish Oreos and just assumed it would be gross but now I'm intrigued!

Jennifer said...

Oh Garden of Vegan! Maybe I should pull that book back out and try that brown rice toast option. It was also my first vegan cookbook.