Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Semi-Homemade Vegan Breakfast Tacos!

Some days, you're just lazy. No matter how much you love to cook, you'd rather open a box and a bag and call it dinner. Last night was one of those nights. I made breakfast tacos using processed vegan plant meats and convenience products, and they were kind of the best thing ever.


Here's what I put in my tacos —Hungry Jack Diner Style Hashbrowns, Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg, Drew's Mild Thick 'n' Chunky Salsa, Parmela Creamery Nacho Nutcheese, Mi Rancho Ancient Grain Tortillas, avocado, and Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo. Hey, at least the avocado is a whole food!


I picked up the soy chorizo at TJ's in Nashville a few weeks ago because, every time I'm in the store, I think about buying it and never do. I had no idea at the time what I'd do with it, but it became the basis for these tacos. I fried that up, scrambled some vegan egg, and fried the hash browns. If you've never had these Hungry Jack Diner Style Hashbrowns, you're missing out. They're dehydrated potatoes in a box that you rehydrate and then fry on the stovetop. Unlike homemade hashbrowns, these are already squeezed free of starch, so they have a texture similar to the hashbrowns at the Waffle House. I fried these in non-stick cooking spray though, so they were actually really low-fat!

After the first night of tacos, I realized the avocado and the vegan cheese were a little redundant since avocado is nature's cheese. So I made these again today for lunch and left out the vegan cheese. Still delicious and a little less fatty.


Amazing! I love to eat whole, nutritious plant foods most of the time, but little splurges like this make life worth living.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

"Nature's cheese" - SO true! I always leave off the 'cheese' when I make fajitas so long as I have a huge bowl of guacamole to hand :D

Sarah said...

Yum!! These look amazing! I FINALLY got my hands on some Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg and I can't wait to try it! Breakfast burritos are the best :)

Jess said...

I love Soy Chorizo! I've actually been wanting some of that and was gonna get some this weekend.

Also, thanks for mentioning the new health food store in Jonesboro! I had to go there for training for work and I stopped by on your suggestion and I finally found some Teechino! I've been looking for it for forever, and they didn't carry it at the Whole Foods in Little Rock. So I'm super stoked you mentioned it.

Hillary said...

"Natures Cheese" I love that!Those tacos look amazing, both varieties! I couldn't agree more about a little healthy splurge every now and again!

Kim said...

"Nature's Cheese" That is great! I'll try to remember that.

Unknown said...

That soyrizo from trader joe's (along with their meatless balls) are the two faux meat products i seem to buy. What a great taco! I'm mystified by the hash browns and have never seen that before-sounds kind of genius though.
Ttrockwood

Anonymous said...

Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.. Vegan protein

Anonymous said...

Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. Vegan protein