Sunday, April 3, 2016

Memphis Vegan Food Trucks: El Mero Taco

It's hard to believe that just a few years ago, food trucks were illegal in Memphis! But it's only been since 2011, when the Memphis City Council passed an ordinance allowing mobile food vendors, that food trucks have even been a thing here. Now, there are food trucks EVERYWHERE! And surprisingly, many offer vegan options. 

I was just turned onto El Mero Taco, a taco truck with vegan options. My friend Ranise works on the truck, and she gave me a heads-up that they were offering a seitan taco special tonight. And it just so happened that they were conveniently parked just down the street from my house. It was a lovely, warm spring day, so I walked over to check them out.


The owner told me they were testing out the seitan taco, and that they hope to have it regularly. He also said they typically always have some kind of vegetable-based vegetarian taco that can easily be made vegan by leaving off the cheese. For instance, tonight, they had a sweet potato taco with queso fresco that could have been veganized. He said they recently offered a roasted brussels sprouts taco (yum!!). But I really wanted to try the seitan!


I ordered two Seitan Tacos, which were generously stuffed with cubed, sauteed seitan coated in chimichurri sauce, a tangy lime slaw, tomatoes, and homemade pickled jalapenos. 


Here's a closer look at the seitan.


These were AMAZING! Each taco was loaded with seitan, so they were hearty and filling. The chimichurri sauce added an awesome flavor, and those pickled jalapenos really brought everything together. They had some salsa and limes at the counter, but I forgot to add any. Luckily, I brought these home to eat and added some salsa from my fridge (and of course, I added Yellowbird sauce!). My jarred salsa probably wasn't as good as theirs, but the tacos were so good, it didn't even matter.

2 comments:

Adriana Robles said...

Their menu had me at Chilaquiles.<333

VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

Jennifer said...

Super jelly of vegan friendly taco truck!