Wednesday, April 6, 2016

New So Delicious Cashewmilk Ice Cream Flavors!

When So Delicious introduced their line of cashewmilk ice creams (or non-dairy frozen desserts, as they call them) last year, the vegan world exploded with joy! Finally, a creamy, rich, thick ice cream that's soy-free and gluten-free. Nothing against soy or gluten, but you know, some folks have allergies so it's cool when a product is super-inclusive.

Plus, the creamy factor with these ice creams was off the charts. They introduced four flavors last year, and they were flying off the shelves. So much so that one flavor — the Salted Caramel Cluster — mysteriously disappeared in a lot of places when So Delicious couldn't keep up with demand. And that was my favorite flavor. Well, guess what? Salted Caramel Cluster is back! And it's joining three brand-new flavors — Creamy Chocolate, Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream, and Very Vanilla.


So Delicious sent me all four flavors to review, so I've done the tough work of tasting them all. And I'm here to tell you these flavors are just as amazing as the round introduced last year. Maybe even better! 

My fave of the bunch was Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream, because I'm a sucker for ice cream with chunks. And who doesn't love chocolate sandwich cookies? The chocolate ice cream base is rich and creamy with a milk chocolate flavor. It's absolutely loaded with cookie bits!


The Creamy Chocolate seems like it has the exact same base as the cookies 'n' cream, but it's just solid chocolate throughout. And it really has that classic chocolate ice cream flavor. When So Delicious first introduced the cashewmilk ice creams last year, they brought out a Dark Chocolate Truffle flavor that was probably my least fave of the bunch. Good but a little too bitter dark for me, and it wasn't as creamy as the others. But this new chocolate is more my speed. It's sweeter and creamier and more like the chocolate ice cream of my childhood, whereas the dark chocolate ice cream is probably meant for a more sophisticated palette than mine.


Very Vanilla was a much-needed flavor. The original line-up of cashewmilk ice creams included a Creamy Cashew flavor that was close to vanilla, but it had more of a cashew flavor. That was (and remains) a fantastic flavor, but I think So Delicious needed a classic vanilla, too. I enjoyed a scoop of this with a slice of vegan lemon pound cake (baked by my co-worker Susan). I warmed the cake up in the microwave a bit, so the ice cream would get all melty.


Finally, I was sooooo excited to get my hands on Salted Caramel Cluster again! It might just be my batch, but it did seem slightly different than what I remember. The creamy vanilla base was the same, and there's still a generous ribbon of caramel. But I remember the cashews being chocolate-covered. Now, there are chocolate chunks and salted cashews (not chocolate covered) peppered throughout. Either way, it tastes the same, whether or not the chocolate is coating the cashews or just mixed into the ice cream. In fact, I think there may be more chocolate and cashews in this new incarnation. It's definitely still my fave of all the cashewmilk ice creams!


7 comments:

House Vegan said...

I can't believe that I haven't tried their cashew milk ice creams yet! Honestly, we rarely buy ice cream at the store since we're a stone's throw from Sweet Ritual, but I've been meaning to pick these up for months. I've got my eye on the Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream :)

Unknown said...

WoooHooo!!! Just need the stupid east coast weather to warm up some! The store closest to me (aka where i have to buy ice cream so it gets home before melting) only has two of the coconut milk so delicious but i'm going to request they order these..!
Ttrockwood

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOVE these!!! Thank you for the review. They're my favorite ice creams and are stocked in the freezer :)

Hillary said...

I agree about the dark chocolate truffle, it was a little too dark for me. I am so excited for a chocolate cookies and cream ice cream! I've always wondered why cookies and cream was always vanilla based. Great review, I can't wait to try these, and also get my hands on the salted caramel cashew cluster! I remember the cashews being chocolate covered too!

Sarah said...

Yes!!! Chocolate Cookies n Cream for the win! I have to find this, that sounds so amazing. Thanks for the heads up!

Trixie said...

The creamy cashew is my fav!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You're right! The cashews in the Salted Caramel Cluster ice cream used to be chocolate covered. I'm glad that the new/updated version still tastes good though, according to your review. Thank you for the reviews!